Too good to be true? need expert eyes..

paul26982

being on there for agers now and i mean agers, the pic with the face lift bumper like that reminders me

tedvagas

Nov 5, 2006
cleveland
ask him if he has any pics of it when it was damaged
get an idea of the damage then offer him 3500
start low , cat listed cars are hard to sell so stick low

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
It's a Cat D car, so I'd personally avoid it like the plague. You can't tell how well it's been repaired so you have no idea how safe it is, how reliable it is or what problems you may face in the future. Plus when it comes to resale time it will be worth sod-all as most people will run a mile when the see Cat D.

It's a risk, but only you can decide if it's a risk worth taking. Personally, I'd look elsewhere.

paul26982

only the person who's buying knows, we only give advice, depends how bad you want one and your budged as well as how long you keeping it etc

Foxy

200bhp **** member no. 1
Oct 25, 2003
Daventry
www.pug306.net
Oh Ill have it inspected by RAC before I hand over any cash. And HPI'd.
Cat d at least means it wasnt bent badly, theres a Audi A3 quattro on the bay thats been repaired from a cat c!

andycupra

status subject to change
history sounds dodgy. "he lost it" then oh he works for a garage so did work himself so no history...

but then also says its a cat D but i presume it was stolen, so he confirming that he didnt own it from new, so then him doing all the servicing doesnt add up.

the service light is on and he cant get rid even working in the trade?

mmm....

paul26982

how easy is the service light...........................

a peice of p1SS

paul26982

the software you plug into your vag model car, theres a section in the main page, you can get readings, errors codes etc if you know what i mean

Foxy

200bhp **** member no. 1
Oct 25, 2003
Daventry
www.pug306.net
Update: Did a vehicle check £5.99 and well worth it as these are the results.

leoncheck.jpg

Think Ill be avoiding that one!

Can anyone tell me where I can get this VAGCOM software? Torrents?

paul26982

you need the ross tech lead wich is expensive, there other alternatives on ebay

virdi

Nov 12, 2006
Middlesex
If it doesn't bother you - I spose it's a cheap way of getting a nice car.

However, when you come to selling it - You won't get a lot for it and most people will just walk away, as soon as you tell 'em about the Cat D.

Foxy

200bhp **** member no. 1
Oct 25, 2003
Daventry
www.pug306.net
I would have had it if it had been cat d, but its cat c so Im avoiding it like the plague.
Going to see a nice black one in southend tomorrow so fingers crossed.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
cat d is ok, especially on cheaper cars as its usually only panel damage, i've had one before, worth 20% less than standard though, always worth seeing pics of it damamged so you know what was wrong

avoid cat c unless you seen it before it was repaired and know a lot about cars
but general rule its a gamble and would be harder to sell than normal cars

its a cheap route to a nice car!
the fact that he lied to you about being a cat c and not as advertised a cat d then dont bother!

unless the records on it are wrong, worth mentioning it to him and see what he says (do it over the phone, you'll be able to tell if he's lying then!)

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Mine was a CAT D, cheap as chip and looks like its worth far more than I paid fo it. It worked out well for me, but as said, it is a risk, if the car was done soddily you'd have problems after. I have been lucky.

As for selling for less, you bought it for less so you're not losing in that respect, and there is usually someone who will take a cheap Cupra - that one above has not sold I suspect for other reasons.

And as for that vehicle search thing, They can sometimes be incorrect, my bro had one done that said ca was Stolen Recovered, they later rang back and said they were wrong :redface:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I wouldn't buy that one simply because the person advertising it sounds like a clueless idiot and things don't add up.

The fact its on the register wouldn't bother me under the right circumstances, but the fact he says Cat D and it was Cat C does bother me - but only because if he can't get that right he is either a bad liar or stupid. So what else has he possibly lied about/not looked after properly.

Nothing wrong with Cat C/D IF you know EXACTLY what you are doing, what you are getting into, what was damaged, and it was put back together properly (ideally being able to speak to the people that fixed it).

I think you've done good to ignore this, good luck with the other one you are looking at.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.