Can you convince me????

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
please, i have £12,500 cash waiting to buy the right car! i need a car before next month when my other half goes back to work.

I have searched for ages to find a cupra but they are hard to find for this price! there are 2 yellow cupras at my local garage and they are for £12,995, the sales guy said he will do it for £12,500 but im still undecided between this and the civic type r!

Who has a yellow cupra? and is this advisable? cant make up my mind even though they look nice, will i get bored of the colour? also the interior on these leons arent the best but im thinking you get 5mpg more than the civic and the 5 doors for my child!!! decisions decsions. please convince me!!;)

Theflyingsheep

Cant comment on a Cupra, but as for the colour my FR is yellow, belive me you wont get bored of it, im always looking out of my window at mine and it turns heads wherever it goes, do it :D

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
ill let you know tomora if i do, but please convince me more. lol dont you think the interior is a bit plastic and also whats the reliability like compared to a jap honda??

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Cupra is faster than the Type R. Cupra is more powerful than the Type R. Cupra has more Torque than the Type R. Cupra is rarer than the Type R. Cupra has better brakes than the Type R. Cupra looks better than the Type R. Cupra is more practical than the Type R. Cupra is more easily tunable than the Type R.

Type R has better interior than the Cupra and an addictive (albeit 20% less powerful) engine.

Cupra wins, but yellow is down to personal choice. I would avoid yellow as it is a marmite colour some love and most hate, and when you come to sell it, this will defo be a factor in the next buyers mind.

silverfox

Feb 19, 2004
far far away
Visit site
....and you can't see out the back of the Honda.

I've got a Yellow FR and still love the colour a year and a half later. Interior is a little cheap-looking but everything still works well. Blueteeth are essential :) - make sure you get some!

Leon Cupra is a MUCH rarer site on the road than a CTR, especially in yellow.

Mr Diet

Jul 14, 2008
Absolutely nothing wrong with yellow imo, go on, be bold.

Seat.jpg

bizzaboy

I take it you are referring to the newer 'face lift' Civic at that price?

Great advice already above - just to say, I actually like the sporty look of the interior of my FR, very stylish - I don't get that "plastic feel" others talk about, also like the Seats and Leather steering wheel too, packed with buttons/bluetooth. :)

The top portion of the Dash has a wieve effect, almost looks like carbon fibre.

I'd definately recommend the Cupra over the Honda, no minus aspects to point out! Better economy, even better performance. You WONT get bored. :D

The Cupra is a rarer sight too - sleek yet aggresive looks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
thanks guys, i think im convinced... im going to see them tomorrow, although you cant find a cupra in the UK for less than £13k so to get £500 off i think is pretty good. what would you say i should offer then? the 2 cars also are on an 07 plate with only 8k on the clock the other with 9k, both havent got bluetooth though!! is this really a must?

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
Rock Hard ride on the Honda as well - I car share with my mate who has one and its even stiffer than the FR. Another thing to note is that the honda has a crap turning circle.

leon_in_uk

Feb 14, 2009
Tamworth
cupra it is then, sales guy just called me and said he has a yellow and red one ready for me! hopefully the red has bluetooth though.. whats the main difference with this? why does it have a pic of the car in the dash? does it do much more apart from the phone prep?

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
thanks guys, i think im convinced... im going to see them tomorrow, although you cant find a cupra in the UK for less than £13k so to get £500 off i think is pretty good. what would you say i should offer then? the 2 cars also are on an 07 plate with only 8k on the clock the other with 9k, both havent got bluetooth though!! is this really a must?

I think demand for Cupras has gone up a bit recently. 6 months ago they just wouldn't shift.

Yellow looks ace but as said djhorace said may struggle to resell. A few months ago a few people reported dealers would refuse to take them in part ex as they couldn't get an underwrite on them.

Bluetooth is good because of the large MFD, certainly of the 3 Cupras I've driven none had it (or the FR I drove for that matter) so you may spend a while looking for one with it. On here many people seem to spec it but not sure that many do outside of the forum.

If I was buying another Leon I'd personally spec it even though I didn't last time.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
cupra it is then, sales guy just called me and said he has a yellow and red one ready for me! hopefully the red has bluetooth though.. whats the main difference with this? why does it have a pic of the car in the dash? does it do much more apart from the phone prep?

Bluetooth gives you the large MFD with the picture of the car.

The large MFD gives additional functionality to be able to adjust features on the car. I have it on the TT and its pretty useful. Not sure what it does on the Leon exactly sorry.

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006

Bluetooth gives you a larger MFD with a few extra options and obviously bluetooth! I dont have it on mine but i can use my iPhone handsfree through the AUX IN so it aint a massive loss. Had i ordered the car from the factory tho i would definately have specced it.

Slickline

Bluetooth is definately nice to have so look at it as a bonus if either cars have it, although it's not the end of the world if they dont.

I think the used prices of cupra's are starting to firm up a bit so i reckon getting one for less than 13k is very good.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members