got the mooing noise

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
got the mooing noise on my 08 fr tdi 14000 miles , i had 2 replaced on my 07 but i have a bearing type noise at 1500 rpm , i wonder if its the vibrating of the tubo valve that makes this mooing noise ?:confused: anyone had the same problem

fl1nty360

yep had a mooing noise like this was a new turbo under warranty and a few other associated bits.

mckfoxy

mine the same been like it a bit now they wont change it im not happy . any idears what i should do? can still under waranty till march next year

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Ive got a Owl "wooing" noise. Is this the same one?

Ive tried to take a video and sound clip of it, you will need to turn the sound up for the video.
I cant upload the sound clip yet.

Not the best i know.

mckfoxy

will be off to another dealler tomorow get second opinion didnt sound like it before so y now somethin not right

Aug 11, 2008
Liverpool
My car sounds like that and the two garages that I took it to said it supposed to sound like that......yea right!!
Alex

Mines sounded like that since I've had it.. Have done 14k miles in it and the dealers said it was meant to sound like that. No other garages that have driven it have mentioned it either!

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
Mine was doing the same thing. Had it the dealer for another fault and he noticed it was loud on boost so changed it.

Feckers couldn't find the vibrating on the front end though!

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
Mines driving me crazy! Its constanly there in town/stop start driving. Although on the motorway its gone.

I can play tunes with mine :blink:

SEAT W.Livingstone in Uddingstone said to me it was normal.

The Foreman took it for a drive, and tried to say its so loud because the turbo is on the rear of the engine, up near the bulkhead. The sound comes into the cabin easily.

They also said, it would only be replaced if there was a loss of power or break down!

ATGNI

Jun 16, 2009
What a load of BS.

If one dealer changes it then another should. I wouldn't bother but they actually get paid for carrying out warranty work.

One of the worst things about Seat dealers is that there isnt enough of them. I've got a 25 mile drive to my closest one.

fl1nty360

As my previous post above...mine was fine for 30k then all of a sudden a mooing / siren type noise , not effecting performance but really annoying especially when in slow traffic...

dealer did not even question it they took it out for a test drive and originally thought a pipe had come loose when i explained i had checked all these they then took a closer look at the turbo and ordered a new one straight away under warranty...if one replaces it then others should...

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
As my previous post above...mine was fine for 30k then all of a sudden a mooing / siren type noise , not effecting performance but really annoying especially when in slow traffic...

dealer did not even question it they took it out for a test drive and originally thought a pipe had come loose when i explained i had checked all these they then took a closer look at the turbo and ordered a new one straight away under warranty...if one replaces it then others should...

What dealer did you go to?

fl1nty360

colliers acocks green in brum...the only thing they have done right....

just listened to the sound clip on the video and that is exactly the noise i had....no longer though...hope you guys get it sorted soon...

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
When i sit and leave my car to idle, after around 2 minutes, the sound appears and stay constantly. I have to blip the throttle to get rid of it, only for it to come back 2mins later!

Strange one. Also, if i idle, and pump the break pedal, i can get it to appear.

Yes, i have been bored on my lunch break!:whistle:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Ive got a Owl "wooing" noise. Is this the same one?

Ive tried to take a video and sound clip of it, you will need to turn the sound up for the video.
I cant upload the sound clip yet.

Not the best i know.

Mine sounds exactly like that from day 1 of me owning it. I thought it sounded quite cool actually. I'm pretty sure it's not a fault, just the wooshing sound of the turbo. I have driven a few FR 170's and they all did it.

Last edited:

ross27

Mazda 3 MPS
Mar 22, 2009
Glasgow
It would be cool if it happened when you put your foot down, not just sitting in low revs.

Surprised how many people have this!

fl1nty360

if your happy with it then i wouldnt worry, but as my car did not make the noise from day one it obviously is a fault, so had it sorted....

you can still hear the turbo spool up but nothing like that mooing noise now...oh and i dont get people giving me odd looks when i am going through a 30 zone wondering why my car sounds like a cow...:D