Big exhaust discussion hopefully...

realneal00_0

Emocion Red Mk2 Cupra
Oct 5, 2008
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi guys.
When my warranty runs out on my mk2 Cupra I'll be looking at getting a new exhaust (probably a catback). I know to get improvement in performance you need a full turboback etc but I am just looking to give the car a 'meatier sound' and road presence.
What are people's thoughts on the sound of the different systems available. I like the look of the double oval exhaust available from Supersprint

IMG_0546.jpg

but people talk a lot about Miltek. I'm interested to know what people think about the sound and quality of the different types of systems available in UK (especially supersprint). I would like something that you can hear in the car under acceleration, more so than stock, but that's not going to seriously drown out the radio and is quieter when on motorway and in 5th gear at 30-40mph.
There is an STi WRX parks outside work and it's just over-the-top and droney with it's huge drainpipe...not sure i could live with that sound! My friend has an Audi TTS which pops gently (same engine as cupra) with a growl and makes a good sound when the foot is down to the floor... something like this but maybe a touch louder.

It's not like you can 'try-before-you-buy' like with a remap so it's a big decision. What are people's thoughts?

Cheers fellas.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Get the exhaust now. Its not going to invalidate any warranty other than the warranty on the exhaust.

I cant comment for any other than Bobs Supersprint above and Milltek. Both sound mint, and the appearance is down to your own preference.

For what its worth, I love the noise of the Milltek, and I have had loads of compliments about the compromise of interior noise vs meaty rasp on boost.

Here is proof of the quietness and the growl;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emp6mZG5eBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGbiPeQ6k7k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amLShhMf2A&feature=related

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Forgot to mention, mine is a Milltek, in fact it is this exact Milltek on this exact (my) car as seen on Millteks web page here ;)

497.jpg

496.jpg

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
I've got the non res oval Milltek.

Believe me i was very dubious about getting the non res as i'd never heard one in the flesh. Its ace! Sounds like stock (virtually) low down but you get a nice note as the revs climb, sometimes you put the passenger window down a little to get a bit more :D

Not intrusive at all, in my opinion.

Djhorace - does yours look like this from the side? Prob me being fussy but would have looked nicer the oval trim had carried all the way under the bumper...as the OEM one did. You can def see it at certain angles, especially now i'm always looking for it. This isn't the best photo to show it....

exhaustpic.jpg
[/IMG]

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Milltek all the way mate. I've had one on my 07 Cupra since December and loved the sound & quality of it. The non-resonated is not intrusive at all and I feel that its the way the car should have sounded from the factory. The OEM one on mine started to sound like it was blown at the back-box.

I enquired at the dealers and they also checked it and advised that it would be O.K. I wasn't happy so I just bought the Milltek to improve the car.

Cheers

Rickyd

Poverty

Blueflame is another option.

The thing that puts me off the milltek is that it doesnt pop much. Focus RS, ST, vxr, TT-s and lambos all pop and flame and the milltek doesnt.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Blueflame is another option.

The thing that puts me off the milltek is that it doesnt pop much. Focus RS, ST, vxr, TT-s and lambos all pop and flame and the milltek doesnt.

Popping and banging is something some us more mature owners would like to avoid. Not exactly ideal to be taking customers in a car that sounds like a chav chariot afterall :lol:

But then again if I was 10 years younger and didnt value my hearing and pedestrians etc.... :lol:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I've got the non res oval Milltek.

Believe me i was very dubious about getting the non res as i'd never heard one in the flesh. Its ace! Sounds like stock (virtually) low down but you get a nice note as the revs climb, sometimes you put the passenger window down a little to get a bit more :D

Not intrusive at all, in my opinion.

Djhorace - does yours look like this from the side? Prob me being fussy but would have looked nicer the oval trim had carried all the way under the bumper...as the OEM one did. You can def see it at certain angles, especially now i'm always looking for it. This isn't the best photo to show it....

exhaustpic.jpg
[/IMG]

There is adjustment in the exhaust, but the fitment is more important than how far out the back the pipe goes. If you look under the car, you see the silencer is pretty close to the inside of the back bumper. The silencer on the Milltek is huge!

I believe the APR exhaust ZBoyd has on the other hand is very much smaller and quite a bit louder.

With regards to how it looks, i cant say i have paid that much attention to be honest.

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
hey, mines an fr but i'm going for the milltek cat-back asap. i'm sure there's plenty of other great systems out there, i just don't know them, and milltek always get great reviews. going non-res, and with the life-time warranty of the car, i'm not too worried about waiting until the seat warranty runs out. no real power gains from the cat-back, but once my insurance cost goes down a bit ill be going for the full tbe so might as well get started on the cat-back in the mean time

Poverty

Popping and banging is something some us more mature owners would like to avoid. Not exactly ideal to be taking customers in a car that sounds like a chav chariot afterall :lol:

But then again if I was 10 years younger and didnt value my hearing and pedestrians etc.... :lol:

TT-S and Lambos arent chav chariots, as long as it isnt popping and banging every other minute its cool. Only want it to pop and bang once its been given some beans and the exhaust is hot. Give it a sense of occassion like a real racing car.

JonnyC went the custom route and its much cheaper btw.

realneal00_0

Emocion Red Mk2 Cupra
Oct 5, 2008
Newcastle upon tyne
Thanks for this guys, great info. DJHorace, I can't believe you have a MK1 and MK2 cupra! lucky sod. RickyD, I've still never seen a red mk 2 cupra up in the north east yet so as far as I'm aware my car is already pretty unique... plenty of golf's etc.

So if you wanted a louder sound obviously non-res is the way to go but it sounds like if they are quality then they don't drone along when going slow. what the hell has been done to a car to give it that chav sound like you get on the baseball cap driving imprezzas?
I like the way the stock exhaust looks on the left with stnadard cupra bumper (as in RickyD's), i just thought a bit of symmetry on the right hand side too would make it look cool. Is it generally thought then that the supersprint exhaust is a good quality system?
Good to hear about the warranty, I just assumed it would be void.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Does the Leon have the same fixing points as the ED30?

If so then Jonnyc's full custom system is up for sale!!!

Shares everything except the back box. Why is he selling it?

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
Thanks for this guys, great info. DJHorace, I can't believe you have a MK1 and MK2 cupra! lucky sod. RickyD, I've still never seen a red mk 2 cupra up in the north east yet so as far as I'm aware my car is already pretty unique... plenty of golf's etc.

So if you wanted a louder sound obviously non-res is the way to go but it sounds like if they are quality then they don't drone along when going slow. what the hell has been done to a car to give it that chav sound like you get on the baseball cap driving imprezzas?
I like the way the stock exhaust looks on the left with stnadard cupra bumper (as in RickyD's), i just thought a bit of symmetry on the right hand side too would make it look cool. Is it generally thought then that the supersprint exhaust is a good quality system?
Good to hear about the warranty, I just assumed it would be void.

Most of my time is spent in sunny Northumberland now as I work in Morpeth and live in Ashington. I regularly see a Red Leon FR which also looks very nice.

Since owning my car for just over 18 months, there are a few more Cupra's cropping up. A Kiwi Green one around Morpeth/Ashington, a White one with Revo sticker's one around Ashington, another White one in Bedlington Station and the Yellow one in Ashington which an '07 one which has been around as long as mine.

Pics of my Milltek. People have already commented that it not's central, although it looks O.K. to me when look at it in the flesh.

Image176.jpg

Image175.jpg

DSCF1680-1.jpg

DSCF1678-1.jpg

DSCF1677-1.jpg

OEM Exhuast:-

DSCF1563Rear2.jpg

DSCF1564Rear.jpg

Cheers

RickyD

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Jonny is putting most of the car back to stock and using it as a daily. He's getting another
S3 and doing a 600bhp conversion:drool:

Sure he said can go faster in 2 wheel drive car thats why he got rid of his s3?
i think he has hit his head or something or has more money than sense , if thats the case he can throw some this way , money that is not sense :p

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Hurdy - what spec is that edition30 you're running? Impressive 1/4 mile and 0-60!!!

Okay, the relevant part for the thread is I have a full milltek TBE:D
Evoms intake - custom heatwrapped
Autotech HPFP
Forge DV
Forge Twintercooler
DSG - GIAC remapped to get 7250rpm, 3.7k launches, uprated torque handling to 500nm, 60% faster gearchanges with WOT, Manual with no kickdown/auto change up.
REVO stage 2+
Eibach Pro street S coilovers
Autotech Lightweight ARB's f/r (saves 4kg on stock
Whiteline anti lift kit
APR Dogbone mount
TAROX 10 pot BBK (saves 4kg on stock)
Team Dynamics Pro race 2 18" alloys on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas (saves equivalent of 80kg on stock as it is on the unsprung rotating mass of the car)
Carbon Bonnet (7.5kg instead of 14.5kg)

The 0-60 time I beat Regal's time at GTI international (J Hurditch)
http://www.theresults.co.uk/theresults/Results/2009/Motorsport/GTIInternational_0628_0to60.pdf
The Santa Pod time was done on the 4th July
quartertimeslip04072009.jpg

Aiming for sub 13 seconds and have 17" Pro races on order with R888 rubber, VF engine mounts and Quaife diff being fitted soon.

Sorry for the threadjack....normal service can now be resumed:happy:

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise