New vs Used and Dealer Discounts

GaryC

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a leon cupra (currently have a boxster S, and want something more practical to accompany it which is still fun to drive), and have been looking at some cars in my local dealer. Very impressed so far, and test drive arranged for the weekend!

Ideally I'd like to buy a used one, both to save some money and because I'm way too protective and zealous about new cars and dread the first scuff or kerbed wheel. But the prices dealers seem to be asking feels way in excess of what they should be, given that you can get a brand new facelift cupra for under £18k off drivethedeal.co.uk.

Can anyone offer any guidance as to how willing seat dealers are typically prepared to budge on their sticker price? Is a 6-9 month old car for £15k with sub 10k miles a realistic proposition?

I'm also attracted to the more "lairy" colours of orange and yellow. How much of an attention magnet are these on the cupra? Ideally I'd like something I can park up and not worry too much about!

Cheers,

Gary.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a leon cupra (currently have a boxster S, and want something more practical to accompany it which is still fun to drive), and have been looking at some cars in my local dealer. Very impressed so far, and test drive arranged for the weekend!

Ideally I'd like to buy a used one, both to save some money and because I'm way too protective and zealous about new cars and dread the first scuff or kerbed wheel. But the prices dealers seem to be asking feels way in excess of what they should be, given that you can get a brand new facelift cupra for under £18k off drivethedeal.co.uk.

Can anyone offer any guidance as to how willing seat dealers are typically prepared to budge on their sticker price? Is a 6-9 month old car for £15k with sub 10k miles a realistic proposition?

I'm also attracted to the more "lairy" colours of orange and yellow. How much of an attention magnet are these on the cupra? Ideally I'd like something I can park up and not worry too much about!

Cheers,

Gary.

Speak to Irfan at Seatcarsdirect (they have their own subsection on the forum) I am sure he can find you the car you want.
Alex

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hi folks,

Cheers,

Gary.

Thats 2 boxster owners posted on here about getting a Cupra , either thats a really good compliment to how good the car is or are people after a recession cheaper car?

GaryC

Thanks for the replies.

I'm keeping my boxster, so not after a cheaper car due to recession etc. From the research I've done and looking at the car and its competitors (Focus ST, Golf GTi, Honda Civic Type-R), the cupra seems pretty much best in class for the price. I think the styling looks spot on too, particularly with the K1 bodykit (hopefully not opening a can of worms here!)

Rob - it's good to see they're prepared to budge somewhat on their sticker prices. What options did your car come with other than the custom paint?

Drivethedeal are quoting the following prices, all inclusive of road tax, but base cars with no options:

Cupra, old style £17537
Cupra, facelift £17982
Cupra, K1 £18832

Cheers,

Gary.

GaryC

Yes, they're quotes for new ones supplied by a UK main dealer inclusive of 3 years warranty and road tax.

I don't want to buy a new one, but they're close to (and in some cases lower than) the used ones being advertised by seat main dealers, hence the dilema.

Gary.

Neel-Cupra

MK2 Leon Cupra 2.0T FSI
Jul 28, 2005
I paid £13,500 in january for a late 57 plate cupra with 6K on the clock! there are some bargains to be had .. just keep looking ..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members