Tyre pressure warning light won't go out

MK Guinness

I have an '07 plate Leon Mk2 / 2.0Tdi, with 110k miles on the clock, which I gave to my wife to drive at Christmas.

Drove it the first time since then last week, to find the tyre pressure warning light on! Quick lesson in inflating the tyres, and she brought all the pressures back to the factory pressures.

Then tried resetting the tyre pressure warning system, using the button on the centre console, and it won't go out. Even rotated the front tyres to the back and the backs to the front. Still no joy.

It was in for a 110k service today, and the garage tried following the procedure in the manual (which I've already tried a dozen times) and couldn't get it to reset. They used a code reader on the ABS, as it works off the ABS sensors, no faults. The code reader doesn't even report a tyre pressure fault, but the light is on.

So the car is back, but with a permanently lit tyre pressure warning light. Any ideas on getting it to go out?????

I have an OBD bluetooth reader, but no idea how to use it!

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I doubt the Bluetooth reader would register a tpms fault, especially as a garage reader didn't find anything, but worth a try. Have a look on the Google play store for apps, such a Torque, that can read faults.

I would guess that the system is telling you it is not working, rather than saying there is a problem with the tyres themselves

MK Guinness

No beeping when I push the button. Is it a simple "push to close" switch? Meaning I can just short out the contacts and reset it?

Does the switch come out the top of the console or are am I looking at taking the whole thing out to replace the switch / get access to the wires?

MK Guinness

Ok, the whole set of buttons in the centre console comes out if you release the clips at the sides.

There are three wires to the switch, I'm guessing an earth, a switched live to illuminate the switch and the switch itself. There are 6 sockets in the lead, numbered 1-6. There are 5 pins on the back of the switch. Time to get the multimeter out!

MK Guinness

Correction and solved it. There are four wires to the tyre pressure warning switch, using the multimeter, there is a live and an earth for the illumination and then another pair that signal the switch. There are also four wires to the traction control switch, again a pair for the light and a pair that signal the switch.

So in an almost blind stab at it, I fitted the traction control switch to the tyre pressure warning wiring, and pushed the button.

AND THE WARNING LIGHT WENT OUT!!

Whooo hoo. Swapped them back to the right positions, just got to order a new switch from the main dealer tomorrow.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Correction and solved it. There are four wires to the tyre pressure warning switch, using the multimeter, there is a live and an earth for the illumination and then another pair that signal the switch. There are also four wires to the traction control switch, again a pair for the light and a pair that signal the switch.

So in an almost blind stab at it, I fitted the traction control switch to the tyre pressure warning wiring, and pushed the button.

Whooo hoo. Swapped them back to the right positions, just got to order a new switch from the main dealer tomorrow.

Well Done! :D

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire

I have had the exact same problem on my 57 plate FR TFSI for 10 days now, tonight I had the brainwave (before reading this thread) of swapping the switches also to:
1. See if I could get the warning lamp to go out
2. Set the pressures
3. Prove the switch was faulty before replacement
I was rushing and it was getting dark, but I could not get the (red) female cable(s) connector (for Tyre Pressure Monitor) to seat in the (black) male switch and vice versa.
As I did not want to trash anything I gave up......even though the switch/cable connectors looked identical except for their colour.
Can the original poster confirm they should easily connect please?

Deleted member 96451

any luck on this? i cant reset my light ive tried new buttons, i dont want to reset abs sensors because the abs light is not on

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
any luck on this? i cant reset my light ive tried new buttons, i dont want to reset abs sensors because the abs light is not on

I did not replace the switch (yet) and could not get the other switch to connect.

So I thought laterally, disconnected the Tyre Pressure switch, figured the wiring (colours) out from ETOS, and made the circuit using a couple of sewing needles! And bingo light off, so I must need a new switch.
Do you know the part number hewittj94?

The connections are the two middle ones (of each upper and lower row of 3), don't do it with your lights on just in case you mess up as other connections may be live then.

Last edited:

Deleted member 96451

5P0927121 and i would be really interested if you could do a walk trough of the bypass?

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
5P0927121 and i would be really interested if you could do a walk trough of the bypass?

Just strip out and remove the switch from the centre console

Then looking down at the connector block you will see 6 connections in 2 rows of 3

What you need to do is to connect the centre connection of each row using a short cable, 2 small screwdrivers, 2 sewing needles/pins or what ever you can cobble together, with the ignition on - that's it - all you are doing is completing the circuit, which is what the switch does.

To avoid problems make sure your lights are switched off because the other connections are for the interior lighting to the switch.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise