where can I buy a diagnostic tool for my leon fr?

bulbsubaru

Feb 22, 2016
Hi guys, what diagnostic equipment is out there for a leon fr tfsi? I'm looking to buy one but I'm on a budget of around a £100 iv got an autel scanning machine but it won't pick up the abs light on the dash? No em light! Also need to find out why the steering controls and horn don't work, is the stuff on ebay any good?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Cheapest option is a Bluetooth / WiFi obd adapter and the Carista app. These diagnosed my G201, airbag, G46 and G44 errors.

You could also get a dedicated VAG 405 scanner. These are sub £30 on ebay Amazon and can read 18 ecu controlled systems.

I have both and they workwork, although Carista is much better as it allows some of the adaptations, like with VCDS (albeit more limited). Couple this with the Torque pro app and you have quite a powerful diagnostic suite.

Last edited:

bulbsubaru

Feb 22, 2016
Can reset service lights turn off air bags lights etc with it? Was looking at the vag-com on ebay but I think they are cheap copys? Not sure if they will do more damage than good?

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Carista can reset lights, but if the problem is not fixed then airbag lights come back on straight away. I know this from experience! It will read and reset both OBD2 generic and VAG specific codes.

Service reset can be done without any diagnostic, YouTube it.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I have the Carista app and bluetooth connector, it's a really good alternative if you don't need the full functionality of VCDS.

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
Anyone had any problems using carista?

I was looking at getting it to turn on things like chirp on lock, dial sweep, change MFD to mph.

You need BT OBD and the paid version of the app yeah?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I've changed the alarm chirp, coming home / leaving home lights and one or 2 other bits. I did find the auto lock doors when driving caused the alarm to go off if I parked up, got out the car but didn't lock it. Other than that no problems.

You need the paid app to make changes to scan the vag specific codes. Free one is OBD2 only I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.