Living with a Cupra(Non R)

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Hi all

Changed jobs and now my commute is 3 miles each way I want something fast and petrol again!

Sold my MK1 FR 150 TDi recently which was mapped and am hoping the Cupra's are lively low in the revs as its something I like.

Believe it or not, about two years ago I had a MK1 PD150 which was mapped, sold it and got a MK2 FR 170 and didn't like the power delivery at all. Sold it on and bought another MK1 PD150 which was mapped, the car I just sold!

Am interested in how the Cupra feels, power delivery, ride comfort, traction in wet etc...

From what I can gather you pay a lot more for the R which is a 0.4 quicker to 60, nice exhausts, leather seats etc... and possibly a firmer ride?

Ideally a 2009 onwards facelift model.

Cheers

CB

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I have the FL mk2 Cupra. It's a lot more composed and I guess more mature compared to the mk1 LCR that I had; more refined too. Power delivery is smooth but when it gets higher up the revs it really takes off.

My mk1 LCR felt like it just wanted to race all the time, very firm suspension (stock) and it sat very low, and the standard front splitter didn't help, it scrapped on most slightly elevated ground.

The mk2 is more comfortable in my opinion, easier to drive, and the side mirrors are a lot bigger which I think is fantastic. Didn't realise how good it is to have larger wing mirrors.

The one piece- bucket seats are divine, I love them.
With regards to traction, in my opinion it’s more down to the tyres you have.

I started using decent fuel and that made a difference in how the car feels, then started modding and have it at stage 2 with about 350bhp.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
With regards to traction, in my opinion it’s more down to the tyres you have.

What tyres do you have? I'm running about 325bhp, and my Rainsport 3s can't cope in this weather. :(

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I can't remember the tyre exactly but at the moment I've got Dunlop's all round. To be frank they're not that great. I've always had Pirellis and they were really good for my style of driving; but the Dunlop's are pretty poor in the wet, I've spun the wheels more since I've had the Dunlop's than any time while with the Pirellis.

Edit: I think the Dunlop tyres I have at the moment are Sport Maxx RT 2.

The Pirellis I've had in the past were P6 zeros I think.

Last edited:

elnigel

Nov 25, 2002
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Visit site
Hi mate, I used to have a 2004 150tdi Toledo sport and loved its power delivery. Then I had a 2005 160tdi Ibiza Cupra which was so stiff it was uncomfy even on the motorway!

I now have a 2010 Cupra, totally standard. It's great, more comfy/compliant ride than my 2010 1.2tsi Leon SE that I sold to buy it but it handles so much better, it's unbelievable really.

It's got smooth power delivery, quiet at speed but fun if you give it beans. I do quite a lot of miles and it's great.

The best review is that my wife and kids actually like riding in it. (They hated the Ibiza Cupra!)

Mine was used this week for a modern classic magazine photoshoot, the journalist said it was a fantastic daily drive car which I agree with. It was up against a Megane Renault sport F1 and an astra vxr. He liked them for a thrash but wouldn't want to live with them driving to work each day.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.