1.6 Leon

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
Am I right in saying that the 1.6 engine in the New Leon isn't the FSI?

If so are they planning to drop in the 1.6 FSI into the new Leon in line the the other VAG cars e.g. Golf, Octavia etc.

Cheers

cmc

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
No its not FSI, only the 2.0's are... I would guess it'll be fitted at some point in the future as the old 1.6 8v probably isn't EU4 compliant.

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
That's a bit disappointing TBH. I'm thinking of getting a new 1.6 but the engine's about 15 bhp less powerful that the equivalent Golf and Octavia.

cmc

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Not quite, theres no power gains as such, it produces the quoted power when run on super unleaded but produces less on normal unleaded.

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
Yes I have - it was the Dealer's demo when I was looking at buying mine.

I thought the 1.6 was a good drive and found the engine to be quite responsive and there's also quite a nice exhaust note too.

Of the roadtests I've read recently on the 1.6FSi Golf, they reckon the engine is quite unrefined and noisy.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
i had the 1.6 as a courtesy car a month or so back. It drove extremely well apart from on the motorway where I had to change down gear all the time to get any power. For town use it was good.

I have just bought an Altea for the wife but i bought the 1.9 tdi instead of the 1.6 cos of the above. It has much more grunt cos of the torque.

Must say I really like the Altea.

LeakyTurnip

Mull Fember
Feb 11, 2005
N.Ireland
cmc said:
out of ineterest. Has anyone driven a 1.6 New Leon yet? any thoughts?

I have the 1.6 and I have no complaints!

It had it's first long run yesterday over a mixture of motorway and b roads and there was plenty of speed! I was even surprised when I went to overtake a car it shifted from 60 to 80 (whoops) quite easily and that was in 5th gear.

The engine just seems to be getting better the more miles I put on it and I've only done 1400 so far!

Also, I must agree with Starbank, it has a lovely exhaust note!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise