Sqeaky fan belt & start up noise

TheE46Dream

Jun 9, 2016
Hey guys, recently my car has developed some strange noises which are coming from the fan belt, its squeaking when driving and ever so slightly when ticking over and from what I can hear its coming from the fan belt. Sprayed some WD40 on it but only made it louder (probably sprayed too much lol). Also another noise I have is when I turn the car on it starts and then as soon as the engine starts I hear a whining/grinding noise for a couple seconds then its gone. Could it be the starter motor or are the two sounds related? Any help much appreciated!

Last edited:

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Its possible that the starter motor isn't disengaging once the car starts, do you get the same noise on cold starts and warm starts?

When you say fan belt, do you mean auxillary drive belt? If so the noise from the belt side could be several things as you have the belt, tensioner, alternator, aircon and power steering pump running off that belt.
Is it still the original belt and tensioner? It's a fairly easy job to change them if you have the tools, check youtube for videos or FAQ section on here for guides.

TheE46Dream

Jun 9, 2016
Yeah as far as I know It does it on cold and warm starts I'll have to make sure and check.

Yeah I mean the auxiliary belt. This morning the sound is gone as of now, the WD40 probably had something to do with this. The car is a 1.4 mk1 leon so it doesnt have AC, at least mine doesnt.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Starter motor squeal is common. It won’t stop it working, it’s just that everybody will look at you at the petrol station. A replacement will obviously solve the noise.

The cambelt isn’t connected, but I’d get it looked at. It may have lengthened by a couple of mm as the rubber ages. You don’t want it to snap!

TheE46Dream

Jun 9, 2016
Starter motor squeal is common. It won’t stop it working, it’s just that everybody will look at you at the petrol station. A replacement will obviously solve the noise.

The cambelt isn’t connected, but I’d get it looked at. It may have lengthened by a couple of mm as the rubber ages. You don’t want it to snap!

Yeah it's been squealing consistently lately every time on start up. As for the cambelt I'm not sure when it was last changed I'll have to take the cover off and have a look around for a mileage when it was last done. The belt I assumed the noise is coming from is the Auxiliary belt or the alternator/serpentine belt, I sprayed WD40 on it yesterday and as of today the squeaking is gone. I might just change the belt to be sure assuming its an easy enough job.

TheE46Dream

Jun 9, 2016
Also while I have a thread open I've been having an issue with my windscreen wipers, they're constantly going no matter what setting I put them on, when they're in the off position they go fast and the next 3 stages work as normal. Have checked fuse and changed wiper relay neither has solved the problem. Could it be the wiper stalk itself?

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.