Catch can help! Vent to atmosphere or TIP

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
So I’ve read online that if you vent to atmosphere then you can have a pressure build up in the crank case

So in this case would it be better to put it back to TIP and use the hockey puck inline

Need help as I’m going to finish it after work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Many normal and big turbo setup's run venting to can/air/whatever and have no issues. Time has proven this to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Sound mate thanks for your help, where would be the best way to run the pipe to avoid majority of the smells, I’ve got a breather filter going to the middle rear of the car, wa gunn run it down to the passenger front wheel well but looked a bit close to the steering rack and stuff

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Sound mate thanks for your help, where would be the best way to run the pipe to avoid majority of the smells, I’ve got a breather filter going to the middle rear of the car, wa gunn run it down to the passenger front wheel well but looked a bit close to the steering rack and stuff

I don't think there is a best way. do it so you're happy with it, and obviously not gonna rub/snag on anything

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi Connor, the clue would be in what you said - vent to ATMOSPHERE (how can you get a build up of pressure if it is vented to atmosphere????
I have mine like this at the moment until I get a proper connection for my TIP and have had no issues at all.
The only way you can get a pressure build up is if there is a blockage in the system somewhere - like kinked hose, blocked filter, etc
Hope this helps

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
I know that’s what I though but I was reading on the Audi forum saying that the pipe needs to be at least 25mm to have 0 crank pressure, I’ve had no problems at all either

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members