whining noise when steering

Hedges

Hi guys

hoping someone can help

ive always had a whiny noise when turning my wheel , never sorted it as never seemed a major problem, however the problem has now got worse as its alot louder.
Done a search earlier and it seems it could of been the power steering fluid, checked that and it half full so dont think that could be the problem?
i cant hear the whining noise when i have my head under the bonnet only from inside the car

Any suggestions

Thanks

Hedges

no , not on full lock mate!literally as soon as the steering wheel is slightly turnt a loud whining noise comes along:confused:

its got really loud too the point u can hear it driving along !

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Hedges, have you tried filling up the power steering fluid, half full doesn't sound right? Is it leaking anywhere? But it does sound as though your power steering pump is on the way out. It's driven by the same belt that drives the alternator and the air cooling compressor.

BEEFYGTI, you drive an LCR and don't know if it has a power steering pump or not?

Pew, the Mk.4 Ibiza has electro-hydraulic steering, electrically pumped.

BEEFYGTI

Nov 20, 2004
Port talbot, south wales
Muttley sorry I have not studied the Haynes manual or took engineering in uni. I just drive my car and enjoy it. I forgot when I bought my LCR I had to take an exam and failed to get the steering pump question correct .. Chill out

Hedges

Hedges, have you tried filling up the power steering fluid, half full doesn't sound right? Is it leaking anywhere? But it does sound as though your power steering pump is on the way out. It's driven by the same belt that drives the alternator and the air cooling compressor.

BEEFYGTI, you drive an LCR and don't know if it has a power steering pump or not?

Pew, the Mk.4 Ibiza has electro-hydraulic steering, electrically pumped.

Muttley , thanks! ill top up the power steering fluid and hopefully that will solve it if not off to the stealers i go :cry:

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
Yea mine does this, sonund like somthing isnt lubricaated but my power steering flud it full and im not loosing any.
Could this be the pumpof just somthing that needs some spray grese??

Dannyh

The Black Pearl
Dec 30, 2011
Manchester
Ye I here'd it was low fluid but it's at a fine level I did think maybe a blockage in one of the power steering pipes but I have no idea which does what lol

matt-tsi

Matt-TSI
Dec 20, 2009
check power steering pump...that whine still haunts me from my old 06 focus

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members