Mpg in winter/summer.

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Hello people....
If we disregard the warm-up time, should the 1.8t engine give more mpg in summer or winter, or about the same ?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
“Mpg” they said!
“Improves when mapped” they said.
Hahahahaha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
“Mpg” they said!
“Improves when mapped” they said.
Hahahahaha!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Remap to me means, faster/quicker/more costly to run. Mpg on a 1.8t laughable at best if you have a heavy foot, drive it nicely and she is alright I guess...I guess because I could care less about mpg when the fun factor kicks in " that kicks in when I get in the car".
I understand the TDI version is good for the mpg masses

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
I ain't really moaning about the mpg....it's just that I've zeroed the readout a few times recently after the warm-up and can't get over 34 on a gentle drive. It will do 40 ish on the same drive in warm weather.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
It takes much longer to warm up and runs rich during that time. My TSi drops from 50 to about 44, summer to winter on the same commute.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I ain't really moaning about the mpg....it's just that I've zeroed the readout a few times recently after the warm-up and can't get over 34 on a gentle drive. It will do 40 ish on the same drive in warm weather.
Neither am I mate . 40 sounds like good amount but to me 25 would be OK lol. Maybe I'm wrong with weather and she's burning more fuel because of the cold air going in.
I did a 60mile run last night with mixed driving and used half of a quarter of a tank, not sure what that is in gallons, Using that 99 from tesco.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Actually, I've just had a thought. Since summer I have gone from 205/55/16 Dunlop Blu-response tyres to 225/40/18 Vredestein Ultracentrifugation Cortis. Maybe this could be the reason. More friction on the road maybe ?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Actually, I've just had a thought. Since summer I have gone from 205/55/16 Dunlop Blu-response tyres to 225/40/18 Vredestein Ultracentrifugation Cortis. Maybe this could be the reason. More friction on the road maybe ?

I recall a Toledo or Rapid TDI driver on one of the forums lost 8mpg long term after going from 15s to 18s.

The tyre change is having as much effect as the cold weather.

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent

More drag due to the increased contact area but also the compound and tread pattern can add to that as well.

Larger wheel/tyres can also be a fair bit heavier, I weighed mine (similar to yours) and found they were 4kg heavier per wheel. That adds to pull your mpg down.

Also your wheels are not like for like size wise, your 18's are a slightly larger circumference which will affect your speed reading, doing less revolutions per mile. Not masses different but enough over a tankful.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
25 is pretty good for me. Can get 35 ish with motorway driving if I behave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

paulos44

Mar 11, 2013
Warwickshire
Just found the problem....... sticking rear caliper. I am gonna get it sorted tomorrow hopefully.
Before I go out and get a replacement, someone has suggested to me to me to screw the piston in and then push it out with the pedal a few times. At the same time, to drip some brake fluid around the piston where it enters the caliper body.
Does this sound feasible ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.