Less boost in the cold

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Stage 1 was boosting 18-19 psi up until it started getting cold, colder it got less it boosts. These sub 5 degree evenings I'm seeing 15-16 psi. Can't say I ever noticed any drops in boost because of cold weather before the map.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Mine seems more aggressive now its cold, especially up top 5/6k. I'd say you have a leak somewhere if the psi has dropped.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Mine seems more aggressive now its cold, especially up top 5/6k. I'd say you have a leak somewhere if the psi has dropped.

Is that based on a feeling or do you have a reading? Theoretically it makes sense for our cars to drop boost in comparison to air density to produce the same output and avoid over boosting.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Is that based on a feeling or do you have a reading? Theoretically it makes sense for our cars to drop boost in comparison to air density to produce the same output and avoid over boosting.
Mine hasn't dropped psi gauge wise and pulls really well, no drop of either. No logs

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Perhaps I'll take a more of a look. The car doesn't feel down on power.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Turbo cars will more often than not overboost in colder weather. Thats how I blew my turbo on my old car. Boost spike.

Cold air = more dense. More air = more fuel = Bigger bang = More EG = Quicker spool.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
Turbo cars will more often than not overboost in colder weather. Thats how I blew my turbo on my old car. Boost spike.

Cold air = more dense. More air = more fuel = Bigger bang = More EG = Quicker spool.

You see from what I understand cold air does = more dense but more dense means the turbo does not need to work as hard to meet torque parameters set by the ECU thus less boost.

I have an AMD stage 1 MAP that was tuned at an ambient temperature of 24.5 degree Celsius. ln the summer I was boosting 18psi now it's below 0 degrees Celsius I'm seeing 13-15 with no apparant difference in the feel of the power delivery .

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
You see from what I understand cold air does = more dense but more dense means the turbo does not need to work as hard to meet torque parameters set by the ECU thus less boost.

I have an AMD stage 1 MAP that was tuned at an ambient temperature of 24.5 degree Celsius. ln the summer I was boosting 18psi now it's below 0 degrees Celsius I'm seeing 13-15 with no apparant difference in the feel of the power delivery .
Only thing I have a loss of is traction

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016

The turbo will boost spike in cold air. Not all the time and it will be for a split second until the actuator opens.

Have you got a custom map or a flash map?

I wouldnt think a car mapped at 19 psi would drop to 15 psi when its cold. Thats like saying it will over boost when hot weather???

It might be worth while contacting AMD to discuss.

Haze

Oct 21, 2014
The turbo will boost spike in cold air. Not all the time and it will be for a split second until the actuator opens.

Have you got a custom map or a flash map?

I wouldnt think a car mapped at 19 psi would drop to 15 psi when its cold. Thats like saying it will over boost when hot weather???

It might be worth while contacting AMD to discuss.

I will.. I'm on the understanding that the ECU sets out a torque parameter to hit, meaning less boost is needed to hit the target in freezing weather and more in hotter.