Is this typical of a door lock failing?

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Recently the alarm has gone off a few times when I've started the car and left it running while I put my bits in for work.

I thought I had accidentally pressed the lock button on the fob but quite sure I hadn't done it twice.

I now notice that the confirmation lights flash when locking is not happening, but does when unlocking.

Is this a symptom of the lock failing?

Last edited:

GarryC

Ex Piper RS chappie
Oct 17, 2017
Ashford, Kent
It could well be. One of the easiest sign that a door lock is failing, is the lower door puddle lights stop working, or when you open that door, the interior light wont turn on.

Normally the switch fails first, then the lock.

Main piece of advise would be to sort it now, before the lock becomes the issue. Fixing that once it gives up completely is a massive ball ache.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
LOL. finally got round to fitting a new lock, had issues with the driver rear so did that last summer.

The new lock has cured the issue of the alarm going off if the key is not inserted and turned without delay. Also I now have the "lights left on" buzzer notification back.

Regarding the confirmation lights flashing, they started again I think perhaps after doing the rear. Now they have gone again with the new lock on the front.

I've checked for lock errors on Vagcom but nothing.

Ideas on what to check?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.