Fake Turbo. I've been conned!

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
So those of you on here who know me now, probably know I had an issue with my turbo over heating as it was damaged slightly and had play in the rear.
( in my readers ride )
The fix was to buy an original Borg Warner Reconditioned KO4.
I paid around 400 quid.
Once in the car I was all smiles. Car felt much more responsive. No more lag and decent power I thought.
When I took the car to Bill at Badger5, the rolling road showed my car was down on power to the tune of 10 - 12 horses.
This was put down to the actuator being weak and boost bleeding away at high revs.
Unhappy with these results, my mechanic spoke with the supplier to be told a load of flannel about it not being designed to be mapped with high boost etc etc blah blah bollox.
With that in mind I was put in touch with Owen Developments
What they don't know about turbos isn't worth knowing.
They are the turbo gurus. ( supplying turbos to the Indy Lites Series and the BTCC here in Blighty to name drop a tad. )
A talk with them confirmed they could recon the recon, adding new improved bearings, seals and new actuator etc.
Well I dropped the turbo in to them yesterday at 8am.
By 9am they had answers for me.
It's a FAKE!!!
Probably Chinese!
Not one piece was an original part, the exhaust housing wasn't even made from the right material and the engineer working on it only had to handle it to know it was bogus.
Obviously there was nothing they could do so I've had to purchase a brand new one! Which I'd have done originally to save all the pissing about.
We will be putting all the findings to the company who supplied this piece of shite and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they try to wriggle out of this embarrassment.
Can't name them just yet, want to see where I stand first, but I'm going to look into trading standards etc as they are a big company who are screwing the public.
So everyone beware of what you're buying!
I thought I was pretty clued up and street smart, even used a company with a background to safeguard myself
And I still got screwed.
People be Warned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
How much is a brand new turbo gunna cost you?

I know it’s **** but least you know now, some really shitty people out there! If they don’t resolve the problem or give you money back then screw them wih trading standards, have you got proof that it’s a fake like one of there engineers can confirm it in writing?
I’m sure that will help your case

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
How much is a brand new turbo gunna cost you?

I know it’s **** but least you know now, some really shitty people out there! If they don’t resolve the problem or give you money back then screw them wih trading standards, have you got proof that it’s a fake like one of there engineers can confirm it in writing?
I’m sure that will help your case

Hi.
Yes brand new one give s loads of confidence and will map well at Bill’s.
I paid 799 plus vat.
And yup have it in writing regarding the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Shame the fitter didn't spot this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah isn’t it. Mind you he’s a mechanic and just orders the bits and pops them on I guess. He’s been buying upto 50 turbos a year from them!!
He’s as mad as I am.
He just fitted two into a v8rsnge rover and the guy wants it mapped!!
Sounds familiar. Oh dear.
They look well refurbished when they arrive so look the part. Thing is they aren’t reconditioned, just brand new shitters. Everyone must open the box and say “wow, looks like new ,aren’t they good. “

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Yeah isn’t it. Mind you he’s a mechanic and just orders the bits and pops them on I guess. He’s been buying upto 50 turbos a year from them!!
He’s as mad as I am.
He just fitted two into a v8rsnge rover and the guy wants it mapped!!
Sounds familiar. Oh dear.
They look well refurbished when they arrive so look the part. Thing is they aren’t reconditioned, just brand new shitters. Everyone must open the box and say “wow, looks like new ,aren’t they good. “

You spent good money on this car...feel bad for you mate. You have any pics of this turbo?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
You spent good money on this car...feel bad for you mate. You have any pics of this turbo?

Still up at Owen’s but I’ll have it next week when I pick up my new one.
Something to look forward to for Christmas I guess, if I try to put a spin on things. Excuse the pun.
Yup spent lots on this and having done so really want it done right.
It’s kind of a posthumous present from my mum so it has a special spot in my heart. Hence it must be spot on.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Trading Standards will do f all.

Either reclaim off your credit card company under Section 75, or county court claim.

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Gutted for you fella, total pain and hassle you can do without.

Makes you wonder what these ones on eBay for £150 are like!

Glad you got someone on it now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Gutted for you fella, total pain and hassle you can do without.

Makes you wonder what these ones on eBay for £150 are like!

Glad you got someone on it now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably same as the eBay specials!
Yeah I’m happy that by Christmas it’ll be up and running and mighty quick.
Found out Bill can see me before Christmas so new custom map for my new turbo.
It’s going to fly!

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
To balance opinion out a bit it would seem unlikely that a well known supplier, one that your own mechanic has used considerably without issue (unless he too is hiding the truth), would knowingly sell fake goods.

Their attitude of not recommending remaps on their product is understandable as they have no control over it, even VAG would have the same policy.

Was the turbo advertised as reconditioned with OEM parts? If not then they may not be miss-selling.

However do approach Trading Standards and you may find they have other complaints like yours, but if not that would suggest your case is a one-off.

Either way give the seller a chance to explain and put it right.

Once the matter is finished, make the seller publicly known here for others to have confidence in or avoid.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
To balance opinion out a bit it would seem unlikely that a well known supplier, one that your own mechanic has used considerably without issue (unless he too is hiding the truth), would knowingly sell fake goods.

Their attitude of not recommending remaps on their product is understandable as they have no control over it, even VAG would have the same policy.

Was the turbo advertised as reconditioned with OEM parts? If not then they may not be miss-selling.

However do approach Trading Standards and you may find they have other complaints like yours, but if not that would suggest your case is a one-off.

Either way give the seller a chance to explain and put it right.

Once the matter is finished, make the seller publicly known here for others to have confidence in or avoid.

I get where you are coming from but this is sold as a reconditioned model.
Owen’s said it wasn’t reconditioned at all.
Just a new fake
Pretty sure they know what they are talking about tbh.
There’s not one piece on it that’s original.
As for not mapping
We presented info regarding rolling road info pre map when it was still bleeding boost.
Their argument didn’t hold water.
I give everyone the benefit of doubt but seems I’ve been tucked up!