Anyone else having SPEED problems getting onto SCN recently?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
My office has a high-speed net. con. and it was taking a while to load pages and post replies around 5:00pm yesterday. I had a similar issue going on when I tried use SCN.net forums from home.

:S

Its not an issue relative to the speed of the physical link. Its more than likely a DNS issue, ie the ISP not resolving the address.

If it was a server issue, everyone would have a problem regardless of who the ISP is or the physical speed of the connection they have.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i don't really want to go messing around with my dns settings...

firstly, at home my PC(s) work fine with the current ones OTHER than the SCN site.

secondly, I cannot adjust my work dns settings - its a corporate LAN/WAN etc that i don't have rights to.

Anyway, seems to be much better today :)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Appears to be running quite slow again tonight, certainly not as responsive as during the working day hours (9-5) when it seems quicker.

Its not dns, and no routes between me and what i assume is your server (ICMP times out at ge-2-21_22.kit.sov.lon.rapidswitch.com) appears heavily loaded (steady 28ms replies).

Seems to me tbh that server processor load is high on the possible list of causes.

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
Could it be contention problems?

Don't understand really what you mean, contention where? My exchange / ISP if so then it would show in fluctuation response to packets.

If you mean at seatcupra end, well the same applies as above.

If you mean somewhere between me and seatcupra well, again, same as above.

and i can max out my line on a download so i know its not that anyway!

I'd be half willing to blame it on database needing to be defragged/ compressed/ cleaned. :shrug:

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I've found the speed fluctuates - sometimes I can be all over the site in seconds, other times I'm waiting for ages for a post to go up.

I always thought it was just lots of users on at once, but I shall look at DNS settings. (it has been better recently, on NTL with my houssemate looking after router maintenance rather than me at home)

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
I've found the speed fluctuates - sometimes I can be all over the site in seconds, other times I'm waiting for ages for a post to go up.

I always thought it was just lots of users on at once, but I shall look at DNS settings. (it has been better recently, on NTL with my houssemate looking after router maintenance rather than me at home)

Theres no need for it to be a dns issue. The reason for this is simple, once you have gone to the site, your pc caches www.seatcupra.net to its IP address of 87.117.193.46 thats the only time it will check the DNS for the site until that cache expires (anywhere from 30 mins to 24 hours usually). Therefore if you were having DNS issues then it should only be the first time you try and connect to the site because as i say after its looked up the IP it wont do it again.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Ahh - I'm not a computer type, I don't understand these things. :redface:

Seems fine tonight, a few slow patches but nothing major.

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
I think i'll rule the forum database out of the issue, and call it server utilisation issue as i'm finding the "knowledge base" and gallery equally sluggish, therefore i assume that these are run on a different database than the fourms (although on the same server) so its more than likely overall server performance.

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
off-topic:

Seen it before, but love your sig Tam ;)
Don't mind if i copy, do you?

You have PM..

As a side note, the site has become really quick again since around 9:05pm.

I wonder if it was M0rk uploading the leoncupra.co.uk guides that were loading the server up??

Last edited:

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
you have PM ;)
Nah - my guides? slowing things down? Don't put the blame on me matey!

Its actually got slower here now. I blame people with large pictures in their signature:whistle:

Tam

Feb 10, 2005
you have PM ;)
Nah - my guides? slowing things down? Don't put the blame on me matey!

Its actually got slower here now. I blame people with large pictures in their signature:whistle:

Yep, slow again now. :(

Strangely enough, yours / mine images usually load before any of the avatar's do on the same page, so i doubt its that tbh...

Although pagead2.goglesyndication.com could do with a kick up the proverbial arse occasionally! ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I think i'll rule the forum database out of the issue, and call it server utilisation issue as i'm finding the "knowledge base" and gallery equally sluggish, therefore i assume that these are run on a different database than the fourms (although on the same server) so its more than likely overall server performance.

it's possible

however, that won't be an issue shortly

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members