Pastywagon Sprint Dates 2008 - NEW 2009 prep

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
its been in and out so many times we have got the nack now - even can remember the spanner sizes for what bolts LOL

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
latest - dog box has gone in for build and I picked up my new front ledas with eibach springs yummy yummy

DSC01110.jpg

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Gearbox back today with its new SQS-dog gear innerds so its going back in the car tomorrow - last piece of the jigsaw - everything else is built up ready to be fitted - time to get the show moving again for 2009!

Ave it

Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
final drive is pretty much same ratio as last one, about 4.2, but the gear ratios are lower and closer - basically 6 speeds pretty much where 4 were previously - 6th is about direct drive

its a golf group A homologated set:

FD 4.21

Previous
FD 4.24

Old set was good for 168mph in 5th
New set does 136mph in 6th

Dog engagement so no issues anymore at high revs. Had it built by same folks who build the boxes for VW racing so build should be A1.

Should make it fly.......fingers crossed

Info here - http://www.sqsracing.com/index.php?load=program&act=gearkits

Last edited:

Ian Carvell

RobT

Anyone know if RobT is ok?

He hasn't logged onto here, CGTI, or golfgtiracing for about a month and he is usually on daily?

I know we have had a few healthy debates over things in the past, but I just hope he is ok!!!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
All's fine thanks, just busy with other things right now. Normal service will be resumed in a few weeks although its amazing what you can get done when you dont spend so much time ont t'interweb, so I think I will be spending less time here going forwards.

Last edited:

Ian Carvell

Good to hear you are ok....its unusual not to see you on here and the other sites for so long.

Hows the Hill Climber coming along, you out any time soon?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
My ibiza is good - will be finished very soon with sequential shifting coming mid year - then to work with it after a shakedown run probably at Anglesey

motorhead

I take it the sequential shifter is because you can’t change gear properly and you want to save the engine? ........unlike the last engine :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Sort some proper updates out with loads of lovely pictures, don’t be so lazy :D

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Cheeky - its so I can flat shift without lifting the throttle even when in a bend - the shifter has sensors built into it that detect movement and an ECU that retards the ignition for several milliseconds allowing the disengagement/re-engagement of the dogs

long term strategy is to link the mechanism to pneumatics and paddle shifters on the steering column a-la

http://www.powertecengineering.com/pdf_downloads/ps1shifter.pdf

http://www.proshift.co.uk/flatshift-paddleshift-for-cars.html

http://www.geartronics.co.uk/paddleshift.htm

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
its going to be fairly quick I think with a bit of luck - I am after a couple of elises that run in the class that are about a second/min quicker than me - this is going to help with a bit of luck - 6 speeds now up to 135mph rather than 5 speeds to 168mph on the old box, sequential shifting.......gotta help fingers crossed.

Will stick some pics up on race thread when I get a few mins and the shifter bits arrive

dolf

The Dolf
Aug 14, 2006
cheshire
RobT, was it your car I saw a couple of times last summer driving through Knutsford? Green mk2 ibiza with an obscenely large metal chimney strapped to the boot!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
that could be me yes :) on a Sunday, probably on way to/from Liverpool (Aintree)

Last edited: