Query regarding instant ban on new account

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi all!

I have a question regarding a friend & collegue.

He has a Leon Cupra TDI (Uprated).

He has registered on this forum and activated his account immediately however whenever he logs on he receives this message:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

This message was there as soon as he logged in for the first time.

His username is Sly-Delvecchio (the name he uses everywhere).

Anyone got any ideas?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Did he register from your computer or someone else who is on the forum? He's likely to have triggered the multiple sign-up bot, something we had to put in place to help stop spammers.

I've reset the account to Newbie so tell him to give it another go now, just login in as Sly-Delvecchio and whatever password he chose.

Last edited:

Garreh

May 17, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yes, we work at the same place - so same IP address.

Must have been the multiple registration warning.

I'm sure Sly understands, he runs a small forum himself.

JU5 2 SLY

Mike
Dec 12, 2006
Slough
Hi ZBOYD, my girlfriend has this same problem. She just bought an mk4 Ibiza and today she tried to register. This is on the same computer that i also log on to and she gets the same banned message. Could you please sort this one out too. Her user name is Marta Ibiza.
Thanks

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Slightly different issue, she is as yet to activate her account.

She needs to click the link in an email that the server sends out to the nominated email address.

I have re-sent the email to her nominated email, which I note is a Hotmail account. She will need to check her junk folder or spam mail settings, ideally adding [email protected] to the safe list.

Once she receives the email, simply click the link within it to approve the account. She should then be able to login as normal. If the multiple login detector then bans her, I will reset the account.

But the account needs to be activated first.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Whilst this isn't really my job on here, might it be worth adding this information to the activation email? Say, include a little para stating that logins from multiple ips will be blocked unless an email is sent to zboyd@scn.. to confirm details. If we had 2 members from the same workplace who didnt happen to know each other - then we could be losing out an a member for no reason, who would be understandably miffed at not being allowed join?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
It wouldn't really help though if they didn't get the activation email, and that is outside our control, many people use hotmail or some other free email service that tends to eat the emails as spam.

We have no way of knowing who does or doesn't receive it, the ones that do join the forum and that's fine, some take the initiative and email us so we do get to find out and rectify it for them.

As for editing it anyway, I'll look into it. But its a necessary evil to prevent or at the very least lessen the amount of spam we would get without it.

Last edited:

Sam221

Aug 9, 2009
i was banned before i even started too, i used my own laptop and never had signed up before etc etc, luckily marshy PM'd one of you.

strangw how i was a complete newbie and still got banned, maybe its a hotmail thing ?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Its usually because they sign up from the same machine or same internal network such as a place of work.

As I've said before though its a necessary evil as it helps keep the spammers out or at least reduces the frequency of them getting in. Its nothing personal and we are looking into ways of informing people they can contact us to gain access should they be auto-banned.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
i was banned before i even started too, i used my own laptop and never had signed up before etc etc, luckily marshy PM'd one of you.

strangw how i was a complete newbie and still got banned, maybe its a hotmail thing ?

Had Marshy ever used your laptop?

The 'rules' that will allow a ban are very precise, and it couldn't be a hotmail thing (though sometimes I wish it would!)

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Either Marshy used your laptop or the ridiculously unlikely situation arose - of you being assigned a dynamic IP address by your ISP that a user on SCN had already used on SCN.

I've seen it happen before once (on a different website).

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
We should just ask all spammers to write SPAM in their spam. That way we can just install a filter on forums looking for the word SPAM & delete them. After that, we could disable all the other plugins which are used to prevent spammers.

Simple!

Lol