TDI Section

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Guys,

I've been trying to work out whether we need a few sections, and whether I can hide a few in an 'archive' area.

This way we don't loose the information, it can still be searched. But not added to.

The reason for my thinking is way back in 2002ish when the section got added, diesels were pretty new fangled.. whereas now they're mainstream models & *most* users are capable to use the more appropriate model specific section

My goal is to reduce the number of sections to make it easier to use, but would be interested in feedback from users

Cheers

Mark

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thing is the TDI questions are just that TDI questions regardless of model. If it is model specific then then people tend to use the model specific sections...

Not sure really :|

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Good point jonjay

But why would you ask a question that wasn't model specific?

Petrol owners manage to get by

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I tend to think that some TDi questions get lost in the model areas, but those posed in the TDi section do tend to get answered/addressed more quickly. I regularly move 'stray' threads into the TDI section.

(personally, as I've said in the past, I think we would have benefited from a 1.8T section, rather than duplicating info across the model areas)

I say keep it. :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Good point jonjay

But why would you ask a question that wasn't model specific?

Petrol owners manage to get by
Well the various models are all the same TDI engines (obviously lol) so people ask the question to everyone as they all come to the same answer. This is more the case for TDIs I feel.

I do see your point however. I think the biggest problem will be having 100s of how good your fuel economy is on a leon mk1 section isn't a good idea.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Looking at it from an IT prospective to optimise the layout.

The SEAT DEALER section could be put into the TRADING AREA.
TDI SECTION moved into the DIAGNOSTICS, TUNING and MODIFICATION. With the creation of a 1.8T section. This whole section should then be moved underneath the SEAT MODEL SPECIFIC.

You could move the Members personal pages in as a sub section to introductions possibly?
Other Events should just come under meetings....

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
SEAT Dealer section is entirely separate from the Traders area. This is to diversify the SEAT dealer groups in a specific place and in turn means the wider reputation of the site within SEAT is validated.

SCN is the largest online SEAT community in the UK and by association, it makes sense that the dealer network be included and encouraged to take an active role.

Lumping them in with tuning companies won't really help the forum and though some are not entirely fans of the dealers, as our community continues to grow it does have an important role to play in dealer/customer feedback.

I think engine specific subject areas could very well be introduced, under a labeled technical area or tuning and modifications. That could handle more specific information or at least compliment the model specific area. But only as smaller subsections to a larger subject.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I quite like having the TDI area as you could ask more in depth questions that are not model specific (as has been mentioned before) but I can see what you are getting at from a Housekeeping perspective.
Could you combine the TDI Tuning Section with the TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics section?
Alex

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Could you combine the TDI Tuning Section with the TDi - SEAT Diesel specific topics section?

You should have heard the moaning when the Tuning section got moved last time....

Me & Z are brewing some idea's this evening

So you'll come online in the morning to see one section, with one thread for everything :)

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
As the tdi's are pretty similar across the range of vehicles if a problem was to occur with say an ibiza tdi then its likely that that problem would also apply to other models. As others have said if that problem only then came to light in a search of the ibiza section then other users searching in their model section would miss it. Granted a full forum search would still reveal it.
Just my 2p.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
There's already truck loads of MPG and torque threads in the model specific sections, a few more won't make any difference.

Anyway you can always merge all the MPG threads together into one big read for all the MPG geeks can't you?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
I would like to see it kept (not only because its my home) but because i think it serves a valuable purpose, like previously mentioned an issue with a TDI isnt model specific so having a dedicated section to TDIs make sense to me. I can help with issues without having to care about what chassis is wrapped around the engine and hence having to go into the relevent forum section.

From what ive heard in the past the TDI section is quite highly regarded as a good source of information for VAG group TDIs (as they are the same in all cars essentially) so would be very sad to see this go.

Im regularly house keeping it and am going to be tidying up the FAQ and stickys soon.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I would hate to see it go too. It's merely being selfish for covenience sake.

Echoing Dave's comments I believe the petrol heads amongst us would also appreciate their own section too.

I think you could loose the Engine tuning section within the respective petrol or diesel sections.

Awaits to be shot down in flames.

Lee_Cupra

I think the TDI section is relevant to keep the 2 models seperate as I've noticed when you search people quite often put say "problem with my Cupra" but don't mention if its a petrol or diesel so you have to go into every thread to find any info.

One thing I would say is at a glance the forum looks very good buy very cluttered,
could you not have a section with all the dealers and another one for the sponsors inside so its not all spread out down the page?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.