Pastywagon sprint dates 2010 - Overall championship win!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Now then all

Thought I would get a thread started about 2010 prep - to motivate me as much as anything given the very cold weather and current total lack of enthusiasm to get in the garage.

Moved house last year so didn't enter the 2009 Liverpool and Chester Speed Championship, but managed to get out a couple of times and finished the year off well with a class win at Aintree, in very changeable conditions.

Since then have stripped the front of the car down and rebuilt with kevlar-reinforced front wings. It was the first time I had really worked with kevlar and have to say it was easier than I expected once I had worked out how to cut it - cured kevlar (embedded in epoxy for eg) can be cut with a saw made for cutting stainless steel. Uncured kevlar cloth is a total b*tch to cut - brand new razor blades needed, and they blunt very quickly. Wetting it with epoxy is ok, despite what I had read; he trick is to put epoxy down first, then the cloth, they more epoxy and stipple it in with a stiff brush.

Wings are now done and refitted and front bumper mods have started - this is a genuine ibiza F2 bumper in carbon and kevlar - will be fitted with an engine undertray/front diffuser that I am making at the moment. Are going to mould some proper brake ducts into it while I am messing about, and make it a bit more streamlined.

Front bumper:

DSC01200.jpg

Underfloor will need some kind of support like this (but less heavy duty):

ib3.jpg

And will be something like this:

nengun-2478-02-asm-front_defuser.jpg

Have stripped and repainted both sills and they look miles better now - satin black to match the look when it had the sill covers - nearside had some gravel-rash collected over the years. Took the opportunity to remove the 'pips' on the sills as my car doesn't have sill covers any more.

sills.jpg

Have also refitted the rear bumper with some mods to allow it to clear my exhaust. This needs painting so will get this painted when the front bumper is done.

exh.jpg

Engine wise - are going to try some 48mm DTH bodies as think I will get some more poke with them over the 45's - these will be the first of their kind from Badger-5. Dyno tests with similar spec engines and DCOE-type bodies have suggested 10-16hp gain. Are also going to try some injectors with a more modern design than the cossie items I have been running for he last few years. 48mm billet ram pipes arrived this morning:

DSC01450.jpg

These have come off a very serious race Duratec so should be up to the job on my motor.

More pics as the weather gets warmer :D

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Latest:

Had a very motivational trip to Autosport International on Fri - excellent show us usual albeit a little smaller than usual. Good chat with Shaun Hollamby on the AMD stand and checked out their Mk5 Golf S2000 car which they are entering into the 2010 BTCC - good luck lads!

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1193&Itemid=1

There have been some big changes in the safety regulations over the winter, and more to come in early 2010. This has necessitated a new helmet, a new race suit, and fireproof gloves. Thanks MSA for making it more difficult than ever financially to go racing!

Anyhow, got a cracking bargain on a FIA-2000 certified 2-layer 100% Carbon-X 'Extreme-500' suit from AWS (normally £499+vat.....show price £299 including vat). Got some FIA-certified fireproof gloves off them also.

http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk/fia3.html

Have been using a cheap and cheerful Proban suit for the last few years but these are going to be phased out this year as they are deemed insufficiently fireproof (and to be fair, mine is knackered so thats a fair call)

The helmet changes for 2010 are rediculous IMO. British-Standards blue kitemark-certified helmets are no longer allowed for car racing - although you can still use these for riding a motorbike! Its insane. Apparently its something to do with the fact that the lining is not fire-resistant, yet the MSA will not allow people to use the same helmet with a fire-proof balaclava.....go figure. The new sticker of choice is the SNELL-2005 certification. Unsuprisingly, prices of these helmets have rocketed.....but a few outfits have brought some fully certified items to market priced more realistically.

I tried a Hedtec helmet for size at the show - fits ok - so bought one for £139 (included a visor).

http://www.hedtec.co.uk/

If I was bike racing, or using a single seater, then I would be more bothered about buying a more well-known make, but given I am using a tintop with a rollcage....that'll do for me. Full certified and tested so should be fine.

The dates for the Liverpool and Chester Speed Championships are now out, so I am trying to decide on my strategy for this year.....where will it be possible to score the most points? you have to consider what other championships will be attending various events, who is known to be fast at what tracks etc etc etc - not as easy as you might think. Also which events are the most fun!

http://www.speedchampionship.com/

Dates will be on the site above very soon.

Ave it

Rob

Last edited:

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Update:

Current event possibilities are:

Sat April 24th - Aintree
Sun May 9th - Curborough (single lap)
Sat/Sun June 12/13th - Anglesey
Sat June 26th - Aintree
Sat/Sun July 31st / Aug 1st - Loton Park
Sun Aug 15th - Curborough (double lap)
Sat Sept 4th - Aintree

2010 Race Licence dropped through door today also so checking MSA Blue Book presently for any more regs changes I have missed

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
modded rear bumper and rear arches to the paint shop today - picking up sometime this week

more pics once they are back and fitted

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Getting there :funk:

- arch spats painted and bonded on with Wayside Adhesives body kit gunk
- once bonded on, inner lip ground off flush with the inner arch, maximum wheel clearance, inner arch lip painted
- freshly repainted and repaired rear bumper on with new mounts and lovely countersunk black ali washers; new mounts needed as outer edge of inner arch liner that used to hold end of bumper is now removed (for max wheel clearance)
- rear arch liners modified to reduce aero drag in the arch - air in the arch now vents into rear bumper and away

DSC01590.jpg

DSC01592.jpg

Next job - front end back together :dance:

Ordered one of these today for that authentic touring car look....

trs.jpg

More picks soon

Last edited:

Tom7

I'm sure Ive been parked next to you in the paddock at curborough before! It was a few years ago and the cars changed abit since then but it must of been you. Probably a marshalls club sprint around 2006 I think? Have you been doing rounds of the midland hillclimb championship aswell I've noticed the car around!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
new improved streamlined front bumper - going to paint next week and special plastic sheet on order for the air dam (cardboard template shown)

flat floor template made - more details soon

DSC01594.jpg

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Nope - thems are towing eyes. The floor/splitter will be suspended from the chassis legs via small gas cylinders so it is height/angle adjustable (yes really.....its a bit over engineered but its fun)

Floor will be tested in plywood and if ok, replaced with carbon/foam sandwich.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
so its easier to winch onto a trailer - having a winch attach on one side messes up the spool on a winch.

and once its on, its easier to fasten it down without having to use wheel straps.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.