Mk2 F TDI - GEARBOX GONE...?

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Think ive got a major problem; on way to work today I got a major crunching noise when in fifth gear. I then tried to drop to fourth, very loud whirring noise, stumbled into third. Now every time I try to change to third, fourth, fifth, second for that matter, the gears just don’t seem to mesh smoothly, horrible crunching noise every so often as well. On idle the car just doesn’t sound right…

Ill go past the dealership tonight, if it makes it, just feels so bad to drive, clunking, crunching, strange noises all round…

I have a 56 plate MK2 FR TDI. Has anyone else had a failed box in a car of this vintage…?

CCode phase one remap also, about 25K ago.

I have explained all of this very poorly I know but I take it my gear box is now on its last legs?

Cheers

D

you clutch working the way it should? or is it biting at the end. can you select all gears when you are parked with clutch pedal just pushed in and then engine running? or is the crunching only happening when moving?

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
you clutch working the way it should? or is it biting at the end. can you select all gears when you are parked with clutch pedal just pushed in and then engine running? or is the crunching only happening when moving?

alright boss, thanks for the prompt reply.

I think its OK, i.e i can select gears when parked. I really only noticed the crunch, grind when on the move. i have not fully exhausted this though, late for work and all.

As i have no clue, could you clarify biting at the end?

cheers again

D

Biting. When your clutch pedal is right on the floor, and you start to lift the clutch up to engage the clutch does it bit right at the end (no free play) or does it start to bite elsewhere.

cruching between gear changes is usually a sign of the syncromesh going which will need either a new gearbox or it getting repaired. if the clutch however is not disengaging correctly then you will feel the same effects.

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Biting. When your clutch pedal is right on the floor, and you start to lift the clutch up to engage the clutch does it bit right at the end (no free play) or does it start to bite elsewhere.

cruching between gear changes is usually a sign of the syncromesh going which will need either a new gearbox or it getting repaired. if the clutch however is not disengaging correctly then you will feel the same effects.

Simon,

im not sure of the bite point, ill check after work... (i did actually know this, playing the stupid card, sorry bud)

I think the gears disengaged OK, just dont want to change over without some mechanical volume...

fingers crossed the warrenty holds up...? I think ive had it with the LEON, too many problems on a less than 3 year old car...

D

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
Don't give up so easily mate.Mine has done nearly 14k with no probs on a 57 plate, all be it low mileage.You've maybe just had a load of rotten bad luck.At least car's still in warranty though.They should fit you up with a new gearbox if it needs it. Or with the remap will they honour any warranty claim. You maybe need to look into getting the car's remap replaced to original setting before going to the stealers.

My Golf Mk4 had similar symptoms to what you describe when its differential blew up. Unfortunately some chunks of diff went into the gearbox and in the end it needed massive repairs: diff, clutch, dual-mass flywheel and gearbox. I hope you are more lucky!

oasis

i posted a message a few days ago is 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles normal for a leon fr dsg ps 07 plate done 27.000 miles

Last edited by a moderator:

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
my money is on gearbox mount or engine mount ;)

Just a brief update to close this out.

Got car back from dealership yesterday, full gearbox replacement. All sorted OK.

I never got to speak to anyone technically minded but the message relayed via the service dept girl was that the selector shaft? had gone and that there is too much hassle trying to fix the gearbox internals, just whip it out and replace! Which is nice for me I suppose.

All covered under warranty (as well as my tailgate handle which was sticky and drivers wing mirror which was sticky also).

So very glad that I didn’t have to fork out a fortune, well done to my dealership.

It got me thinking about the worth of an extended warranty though. Has anyone got any feedback on this and what I would expect to pay for the privilege? Although I have again fallen in love with my oil burner, I have little confidence in a fault free future!

Cheers again for feedback,

D

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
I'd be interested in an extended warranty too, my Leon seems to break in some way every 5 mins....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.