Heated mirror prob?

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I think maybe my drivers side mirror is not heating. There was some rain on it today that didn't clear. The mirror switch is set to heat and I even put the rear de-mister on just incase.

I know they worked in winter but its harder to tell in the warmer weather. It was only really the part of the mirror nearest the car that didn't dry.

Anyone had this issue and how was it fixed? Should you be able to feel heat from the mirror when its heating??:confused:

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
Where are the fuses inside the cabin? Is it the panel to the left of the steering wheel? I looked there but couldn't see many fuses?

I'm wondering if its maybe linked to the rear de-mister fuse?

Edit: found the fuse and its ok.

Last edited:

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
I have this same problem with my RH mirror not heating, i put it down to it possibly being replaced at some time but not with a heated plate in it.

Would be interesting to find out the real cause though.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I remember reading about issue with the center console switch. If it makes/breaks the circuit then it could be that. They fold and move ok using the switch but the heating could be a different part of it.

I just went and misted water on both mirrors and they didn't clear so its both of them.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Surely though if it was a faulty switch both would either work or not.

Ah right i would of thought if both were not working then it would be a faulty switch or connection/wiring somewhere

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
The mirrors should get warm after a few mins of being on.

My guess is a faulty heating element or the mirror has been smashed at some point and replaced with the cheaper non heated glass. Easy way to tell is to pop the mirror cover off and look for 2 wires attached to the back of the glass a bit like the rear screen heater connections.

Donnyboy

The Candy Man
Mar 15, 2005
renfrewshire
I've had the car from new so there's not been any damage/change that I know of.

I checked the mirrors after my 5min drive to work and they did feel slightly warm. I maybe just wasn't giving it long enough to clear the water. Guess I'll see if there's a fault when the frost starts and its due a service around November so can get any probs fixed then.

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
My N/S one seems to work fine, although the O/S takes an age.

I need to take mine in for warranty for this, the creakness and the O/S wet windows fault.

Appart from that it was only the exhaust I wasn't happy with as it sounded cack. It's now been replaced witha Milltek cat-back.

Cheers

RickyD

kingkongsfinger

Feb 16, 2005
Bolton
Did the other functions work apart from heating? Can you check how warm they feel when on now?

All other functions worked, To test if they work put the back of your hand on the mirror and you can feel the warmth, if not try and create a bit of condensation on them and switch them on.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Do you guys use them to clear rain? I only ever use mine to clear condensation in the winter, not for big rain drops! I find they dry into very visible "droplet marks" !! :)