Fitting Milltek

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Bought a MIlltek downpipe and sports cat from another forum member to fit to my existing milltek cat back. However the connecting pipe that came with the DP won't fit into the sleeve of the non-res section I have as the connecting pipe diameter is too big.

Millte.jpg

The p/n's are all correct MSVW259 and MSAU343 so I can't understand why it won't fit maybe there's some sort of adaptor missing?

Anyone got any ideas?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Is the D/P youbought off of a FR or cupra because i think the cupra is 3" and the FR is 2.75" in diameter. I am not 100% sure but worth a look

The 2.75" is the MSAU 287 for the 2.0T (the one on yours) and the MSAU342 for the 2.0T (the one on mine).

It would be interesting to have yours and mine side by side to hear the difference. The other day you passed by, I noticed there was a difference in noise between our cars.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
By the way, to the OP, the MSAU343 is the connecting pipe for the MSAU342 3" downpipe. It works as a reducer to the cat back part of the system. I wouldnt have thought those 2 parts were compatible, but could be wrong.

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hello Rob,
I have a full Milltek on my K1. The weld failed on the mid resonated box, on the entry side of the box.
Milltek sent me a replacement mid section FOC. I took it to my local garage, off came the system as easy as anything. Then, they put the front end of the new mid section onto the cat section no problem, but do you think they could get the tailbox to fit the new mid section!! NO!!
Milltek realised they had a problem here. They didnt want to send out a new backbox, for there is nothing wrong with it, so, I have agreed that I have a day off work, drive to Derby where Milltek is based, and they will fit the new mid section to my backbox & pay my expences!!
There was absolutely no way the backbox would fit over the new mid section, Andy @ Awesome reckons they will use their formers to stretch the areas where old clamps had been fitted, to allow bits to fit. The garage where I took it had nothing big enough to fit & when they got the welding torch out, it made things worse!! It would not come apart or fit together!!
I would therefore assume you have the same problem, the mid section has been tightened too much, and wont allow the front pipe to fit in, since the diameter has been squeezed by the old clamp. Stainless is softer than mild, thats where my problem occurs. Long as all the parts are for your car, then I bet thats the same problem as I have.

Hope this helps you mate!

I could let you know how I get on. I am arranging this for mid week, next week. Stu

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Hello Rob,
I have a full Milltek on my K1. The weld failed on the mid resonated box, on the entry side of the box.
Milltek sent me a replacement mid section FOC. I took it to my local garage, off came the system as easy as anything. Then, they put the front end of the new mid section onto the cat section no problem, but do you think they could get the tailbox to fit the new mid section!! NO!!
Milltek realised they had a problem here. They didnt want to send out a new backbox, for there is nothing wrong with it, so, I have agreed that I have a day off work, drive to Derby where Milltek is based, and they will fit the new mid section to my backbox & pay my expences!!
There was absolutely no way the backbox would fit over the new mid section, Andy @ Awesome reckons they will use their formers to stretch the areas where old clamps had been fitted, to allow bits to fit. The garage where I took it had nothing big enough to fit & when they got the welding torch out, it made things worse!! It would not come apart or fit together!!
I would therefore assume you have the same problem, the mid section has been tightened too much, and wont allow the front pipe to fit in, since the diameter has been squeezed by the old clamp. Stainless is softer than mild, thats where my problem occurs. Long as all the parts are for your car, then I bet thats the same problem as I have.

Hope this helps you mate!

I could let you know how I get on. I am arranging this for mid week, next week. Stu
Stu,

This is one of the possible avenues I have been suspecting. Keep us posted of how you progress with this. I will be calling milltek 1st thing monday and will post letting you know the outcome.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Hi Rob,

I just noticed the connecting pipe for the FR is part # MSAU288 and the same for the cupra is MSAU343.

Your connecting pipe does reduce at the end doesn't it? Can't see it in the pic and i can't remember. The image here reduces.

http://www.millteksport.com/media/custom/495.jpg

If you need a sleeve or reducer give us a shout with dimensions.

I'd like to see it but busy with little one's b'day party today.

Yes it reduces lilke the photo for the res centre section (MSVW263) to fit sleeve / into. Its interesting that the connecting pipe for the FR(MSAU288) connects into the same MSVW263 res section that the FR and Cupra uses, so there must be some sort of coupler as the FR connecting pipe I'd assume being a smaller diameter. :confused:

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Don't know if this helps I have just fitted a milltek to my FR and the centre section goes into a reducing sleeve as the middle section of the milltek is 3 inch and the cat pipe on the car is 2.75 inch. If this is what you mean my reducer came with my exhaust. If this is not what you mean just ignore me. Kev

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Sorted now, the solution was simple as the res section had been clamped previously it was enough to close the pipe to prevent the connecting pipe to fit in. A quick visit to longlife got the receiving part of the res section opened up on their machine and the system fits together nicely now.

Stupra

Mar 25, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hello Rob,
Said I would get back to you. Took my K1 directly to Milltek today. Kev the fitter was very helpful, explained I had a mid pipe with a manufacturing fault, thats why it failed. Then, as expected, he said it was due to the rear silencer being clamped too much onto the old mid section, making the new one impossible to fit. Anyway, an hour later, i had everything on, he put the back box into the workshop & enlarged the pipe that connects to the mid section, fittted a treat! He also kindly fitted the engine mount supplied with the kit, that my original exhaust garage failed to fit. Small thing, but tightened the gear change up, as it stops the engine rocking. The whole thing fits under the rear bumper better too.
Glad you got yours sorted! By the way I averaged 36.5mpg on a 170 mile trip on the M1!