Another Air Con Problem Thread-Sorry!

mrstsb

Oct 9, 2011
This is possibly a similar problem to the thread started by surgiosphynx a few days ago so I know a few people have these issues.

My Air con had not been working for some time and Vagcom showed a fault that the refrigerant was low, so I finally had it re-gassed in March this year. All working fine until the other day. Air con now making a hissing sound and blowing cool air not cold.

Have run Vagcom scan but it does not show any fault codes. I have gone into the HVAC section and pulled out some of the readings :

Tuesday,29,August,2017,
11:41:47
3.2 Nm Compressor load 003
Error E1 Air quality sensor status 014
Cooling Air-conditioning operation information 017
900 /min Compressor speed 021
7.8 bar Refrigerant pressure 023
Stop release Start process requested 024
Stop release Stop process prevented 026
51 °C Coolant temperature 034
17.0 °C Outside air temperature 040
25.0 °C Interior temperature 041
20.3 °C Temperature after evaporator 042

11:38:21
0.820 A Compressor current; actual value 008
0.820 A Compressor current; specified value 009
Start-stop function in control module not active Start-stop function; coding information 015
Cooling Air-conditioning operation information 017
900 /min Compressor speed 021
6.4 bar Refrigerant pressure 023
Stop release Start process requested 024
Stop release Stop process prevented 026
42 °C Coolant temperature 034
17.3 °C Temperature after evaporator 042
13.8 V Voltage terminal 30 043
N/A Compressor shut-off condition; last 068

I have read loads and loads about Air con faults in trying to diagnose what the problem might be but so far have just got more and more confused. The Air Quality sensor error looked promising but I have read that is something about automatically setting to 'recirculate' if it detects air quality issues from outside.

If anyone has any experience or advice, please :help:

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
I'll post what I did on the other thread.

I had hissing noise behind dash. Turna out the front condenser radiator had been damaged and was leaking hence the hiss. This was after a regas and eventually everything leaked out and aircon stopped working and hissing.

Basically you have a leak get it diagnosed by a garage.

mrstsb

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

I thought because the readings were showing increasing pressure, a condenser leak would be unlikely. I did read that an Air Pressure Sensor failure could result in a hissing noise. but then I would have expected the Vagcom to be showing an error code.

Much like others have said, taking it to a garage to diagnose is probably going to be expensive and I was hopeful for a cheaper fix.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Diagnosing shouldn't cost you too much. Probably a recharge fee and then going over with a leak tester if they're any good. You'll waste more money buying parts you don't need.