Stereo head unit advice (iphone/ipod, moving towards subwoofer)

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Hi,

I've done a few searches on here but not found any specific recommendations.

I am after a new head unit for my Seat Leon. It currently has the standard one. I don't mind losing access to the CD changer in the glovebox: Who uses CDs ?! ;)

Basic requirements are, other than good sound, of course:

* Something nice! Looks good, nice colours etc.
* iPhone / iPod connectivity (Especially iPhone as I tend to use that for all my music now)
* I want to rig up a subwoofer. Not sure whether it is best to put this in the boot or go for an under-seat one. Advice please.

For the iPhone side of things I currently use a cassette adaptor but not ideal for sound quality, obviously. I want something better than this.

Thanks in advance.

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
Looking at this myself.

Checkout the Alpine iDA-X305 (£250-ish). It's a receiver, so no built-in CD player (but it can play CDs via a stacker, [EDIT] but not the LCR's OEM unit - grrr!); iPod/iPhone compatible; screen displays cover artwork; handsfree*; FM/AM radio; subwoofer control; ace sound quality (24-bit Burr-Brown DAC etc); red illumination option, etc, etc...

And if you're thinking - as I did - that the iDA-X301 (£130-ish) looks to be the same machine minus the LCD screen for cover art & one or two other features &, therefore, offers the same sound-quality, consider that the X301 doesn't have a built-in DAC - it uses the iPod's DAC - whereas the X305's DAC is built-in. ;)

[EDIT] * It's only handsfree 'ready', so you have to buy a add-on Parrot Bluetooth gizmo.

Last edited:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Use a connects 2 clips into the cd changer connection in the back of the glovebox, then use the iphone (like i do) to choose the tracks :)

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Lee69 - can you clarify what you mean by this? Are you saying it is possible to run the iPhone audio via the CD changer unit?

The Alpine iDA-305 looks very nice, but if I have searched around correctly, it is not available in the UK just yet.

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Many thanks. That looks really neat. And it seems it comes with the cable to plug and go with the iPhone. Excellent. I can handle the 'loss' of CD player as I am struggling to remember when I last played one anyway.

So I guess I need:

1. The iDA-305 (duh!)
2. Wiring adaptor. http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/auto...oledo-wiring-harness-adaptor-lead-p-9237.html
3. Fascia adaptor. http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/auto...edo-leon-ibiza-facia-panel-adaptor-p-365.html

I have a 2002 Seat Leon (not the new style).

Hmm, I guess I also need stereo removal keys for the current unit?? I couldn't see any for Seat listed. Any advice?

Does the above seem okay?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
2 is not needed, the alpine comes with red and yellow on bullet connectors so you can sway over the live and ignition live anyway.
Key can be made or got of ebay cheaply.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Alpine headunits are really good on Ipod connectivity, full speed control from the head unit and sound quality is good. Also good for if you want to get a subwoofer to, and generally expand your system.

As for under the seat for your sub...it would have to be tiny, so not much point! (and I've never seen one). However in the boot, plenty of room and will sound better!

ell0070

Feb 28, 2006
Jersey, Channel Islands
Heres a pic of my ida x-100. Still looks similar to the 305.

DSCF0102.jpg

And easy enough to run the ipod usb cable into the ashtray like a lot of peeps have done, or into the glovebox like my good self. Really easy to navigate the ipod menus with the control wheel, even the missus can work it:lol:

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
My main concern is that I'm seeing various reviews now which state that the iPhone support is not very good (loss of audio/sync, needing force-reconnection etc).

I have an Alpine HU and i too was put off by the reviews that are around the internet.

But you have to remember that people only generally write a review about something when they dont like it.

Its true, a few older Ipods did have connectivity issues with the older head units, but newer ones are fine.

I went out and bought the HU anyway, even after reading the reviews, and i have never had a problem with it. Its excellent! :)

I have an Alpine iDA-x305... best £270 I ever spent on my car...

GREAT piece of kit... looks amazing as you can change the colours to red...

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

The iPhone camera sucks... but you get the idea..

The iPhone interface is flawless.... charges the phone also which is very handy... I'd happily give it a 10/10... :funk: I run mine throught my iPhone 3G 16gb, my mates iPhone 3Gs works with it too... no problems at all, no loss of quality...

You won't need a wiring harness.... you MAY need a radio signal booster... only if you have a modded aerial..

Last edited:

Mewcenary

Mar 16, 2006
Farnham, Surrey
Thanks all for the advice. In the end I have gone for the CDE-104BTi, also by Alpine. I decided to go for this because:

1. Cheaper.
2. Retains the CD player (I hardly ever play CDs though, so this is not really a key point)
3. Bluetooth built in (Not something to pay more money for...)

I think the 305 does look really neat, I just decided not to stretch to it this time around!

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
If you're thinking - as I did - that the iDA-X301 (£130-ish) looks to be the same machine minus the LCD screen for cover art & one or two other features &, therefore, offers the same sound-quality, consider that the X301 doesn't have a built-in DAC - it uses the iPod's DAC - whereas the X305's DAC is built-in. ;)

I have an Alpine iDA-x305... best £270 I ever spent on my car...

Can you please tell us how the iDA-x305's sound-quality compares with the OEM Aura?

Ta :)

Last edited:
Well, I got the all the gain levels on 0, I.E Bass and Treble... and it sounds the dogs.... So good, I removed my sub and amp as it was total over kill...

Very punchy, pretty loud, prob's let down by the stock speakers to be honest... but defiantly better than that piece of poo Aura thing i had before...

Thanks all for the advice. In the end I have gone for the CDE-104BTi, also by Alpine. I decided to go for this because:

1. Cheaper.
2. Retains the CD player (I hardly ever play CDs though, so this is not really a key point)
3. Bluetooth built in (Not something to pay more money for...)

I think the 305 does look really neat, I just decided not to stretch to it this time around!

You may not, but I think you'll regret it in the end... the Compact Disc is pretty much obsolete now... and having an iPhone means all your music is with you anyway... and you have full control over it. My blue tooth earpiece connects to it, and I didn't need to buy anything more.

Great piece of kit....