Something weird happend on saturday...

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
I had been driving the car fine, not ragging but a good pace. Was racing around getting food for a BBQ. Anway was at the supermarket, run round got my stuff, back in the car pulled away and then suddenly this horrid hissing noise!

Errr, WTF. Then Steam rose from the bonnet right infront of the me so closest too me. I immediately reversed the car put it back in a spot and turned off the engine. Now I did not noticed any lights, maybe cos I switched the car off so quick and panicked.

Opened the bonnet, nothing! Looked at the corner by the drivers side light, looked like a bit of oil but its not a mess. Coolant level looked fine. Started the car again, revved the engine.....all fine.

Got in, drove it a few metres to homebase and fine. Finished in homebase, drove back home over the dual carriageway and accelerated softly and fine. Drove the car again this morning and......yep.....fine.

Now what should I do? Do I ignore this? Take it to the garage and say hey take a look for me pls. Not to generalise here but I tend to find mechanics there more robots than anything else, they plug it in to see any problems than really understand. That may be a bit harsh but that is how I feel, god they couldn't even reprogram my radio correctly I had to do it. I checked the aircon this morning that seemed ok, will check again on my way home to be sure.

My final question, has anyone else had this problem?

I'm starting to worry a bit now. Car is in it's third and final year of warranty. Had a couple of motors go in the headlights, fog light issues, gearbox mount and now possibly another problem. I love the car I really do, great fun and I could spend money on it but I am trying to save and I'm getting to the point now thinking should I say goodbye? Oh I don't know.

Anyway guys, your thoughts as always are appreciated!

as a guess ... was it wet ? was there any chance that water could have got under the bonnet and created steam ? I has steam pour out of one of my bonnet vents on my Fezza RST once after driving trough a puddle :)

Deckedr32

You didn't drop a burger on the hot engine did you? (pre BBQ) [:@]

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
Well I dont think it was wet. Saturday morning was dry and I had not been through any big puddles, the car had been stationary for about 20 mins.

No decked, did not drop a burger. Trust you to be a moron lol

reesy

May 4, 2007
South Wales
This happened to me it sounds like you have burst or cracked the air con pipe, which is situated right next to the cam belt. Under heavy acceleration the belt can rub against the pipe, causing it to split the pipe discharging the pressurised air con gas.

If this is the case the dealer should repair under warranty, they did for me.

Reedy

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
This happened to me it sounds like you have burst or cracked the air con pipe, which is situated right next to the cam belt. Under heavy acceleration the belt can rub against the pipe, causing it to split the pipe discharging the pressurised air con gas.

Reedy

Right ok, will get that checked. Ta!

Deckedr32

Reedy

That sounds possible..... Drop by tonight and we'll have a quick look!

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
What I will say is check the engine cover. Mine come of those stupid mounts and knocked the oil dipstick up, which created steam as there wasn't a seal but I could only see it in the dark infront of my lights, probably not the problem but I would check anyway as you said there was a bit of oil, Seat replaced my mounts but I suspect they will go again...

Danny.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.