Strange sound

Hipwell

Jan 11, 2015
Hi all,

Test drove a Leon TDI 2006 140bhp today and it was making a strange noise...

Best way I could describe it is like a police siren when on the way down, lame description I know!

Up the revs it felt fine but when going down the revs (rolling to a junction etc) it make that strange noise... like a WOOOOoooooo.

My mate reckons it could be a split induction hose pulling air in that I cant hear when its revving up (its got a aftermarket exhaust)

The bloke reckons the noise comes from this aftermarket exhaust but Im 99% sure its not.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hipwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bummer! looks like I'll give that one a miss then! its only done 86k is it normal to have a turbo fail at that mileage?

Just read an advert of another one that says a few faults:

SMOKES ON IDLE DUE TO DPF BEING REMOVED.

PASSENGER DOOR OPENS FROM INSIDE BUT LOCKS WITH THE KEY

CD PLAYER DOESN'T TAKE CD

TAKES FEW ATTEMPTS STARTING FROM COLD

Are these normal faults?

Thanks

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
140 wasn't nicknamed toffee turbo for no reason.
Starting from cold was a problem on the 170, never had a problem with my 140. My 170 always starts first turn of the key it just turns over a couple more times, only does it in winter, summer it starts instantly.
Depends what colour the smoke is, if it's blue it's burning oil or it's unburnt fuel which could be timing out, had this problem too after cambelt change. Some of them bellow white smoke after dpf removal and never cause a problem, friend of mines done this but mine didn't, very strange engines the pd170!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Every turbo diesel I've had I've always been able to hear the turbo spooling up (sounds like a police siren ish), but never hear it when slowing down.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Bummer! looks like I'll give that one a miss then! its only done 86k is it normal to have a turbo fail at that mileage?

Just read an advert of another one that says a few faults:

SMOKES ON IDLE DUE TO DPF BEING REMOVED.

PASSENGER DOOR OPENS FROM INSIDE BUT LOCKS WITH THE KEY

CD PLAYER DOESN'T TAKE CD

TAKES FEW ATTEMPTS STARTING FROM COLD

Are these normal faults?

Thanks

My advice, walk away now mate

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
My 170 does the siren noise, has done it since I bought it, I have put on 23k and still fine.

It's common on the PD170

Luke