Underwhelmed with Cupra on test drive.

djscorch

Innovate, don't imitate
Jun 30, 2006
Manchester
I took 2 Cupras out for a spin this weekend, one 300bhp and one standard.

I can only say I was left feeling disappointed. I've a feeling the 300bhp one had a boost issue, but the standard one was still very pedestrian.

I thought the acceleration would be a little more noticeable, I wanted it to scare me but it did nothing of the sort - is this what they are all like or was I unlucky enough to find 2 cars with issues?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
What are you comparing them with?

The 2.0TFSI (I found) was a lot less punchy than a tuned 1.8T (like our old Leon or Ibiza Cupra)

Or they could both be knackered

djscorch

Innovate, don't imitate
Jun 30, 2006
Manchester
What are you comparing them with?

The 2.0TFSI (I found) was a lot less punchy than a tuned 1.8T (like our old Leon or Ibiza Cupra)

Or they could both be knackered

1.8T actually!

I used to drive a mapped MK3 Ibiza Cupra and we went up in a mapped MK1 Octy VRs.

I expected more, is it the weight or is the power supplied more progressively? I'm going to drive a 3rd to be certain.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Standard Cupra will actually be quicker than a stage 1 1.8T, but it doesn't feel it as the power is more progressive.

Sounds like there was an issue with the 300 bhp one, stage 1 power is pretty quick

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
1.8T actually!

I used to drive a mapped MK3 Ibiza Cupra and we went up in a mapped MK1 Octy VRs.

I expected more, is it the weight or is the power supplied more progressively? I'm going to drive a 3rd to be certain.

Same as our old cars then!

It's smoother, more progressive. I remember the Cupra launch, and thought it reminded me of a (quicker) normally aspirated 2.0 16v - needed some revs to get going vs a wallop of torque

djscorch

Innovate, don't imitate
Jun 30, 2006
Manchester
Can't believe you said that!

We said it felt exactly like a NA 2.0 16v. Such a shame, I'm almost put off, guessing a map would make it a bit more interesting.

MM95

I went from a Stage 2 Cupra 1.8T to a Mk2 Cupra... took a while to get used to the power delivery but I would never go back now - the Mk2's are in a different league when it comes to handling and you can travel considerably quicker with much less effort. A Stage 1 map will certainly put a smile on your face every time you drive it :)

Euan1P

Mar 8, 2016
Edinburgh
I finally picked up my Cupra today, it's had no modifications what so ever, you can absolutely feel the acceleration in the one I bought, for a standard car I couldn't believe how quick it was

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
I went from a 140bhp /225lbft diesel to my FR and must admit first drive up the road it felt a bit underwhelming initially. After a short while (when warmed up) I gave it some poke and it flew. It was only afterwards that I found out it was mapped.

Euan1P

Mar 8, 2016
Edinburgh
The fastest cars I've owned were a stage 2+ A4 TFSI quattro, and an Audi S2. Nothing overly fast but the the Cupra feels faster than both of them

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.