AC whistling & not working at all

surgiosphynx

Aug 24, 2017
Hey guys!

I purchased my first ever Seat Leon. (1.8 TSI 2011) almost 2 months ago and was told by the owner that the AC didn't work because it needed some gas.

Typical me: believed the owner and thought I'll do deal with the AC gas during the service due yesterday.. Anyhow the service was done and the garage mechanic showed me that the AC gas was completely full. He didn't want to diagnose the problem because he said it will cost a lot to fix & wanted me to contact my insurance company so they pay for it.

Anyhow.. The problem is that firstly when you turn on the AC on whatever setting low/high the fan is running.. It makes a whistling noise and has absolutely no cold air whatever the setting.

Secondly, when the AC is off and you put the fan on speed 3 or higher it still makes that whistling noise but very silently almost to the point where you don't notice.

The fans blow out air as they should but it's just this noise & lack of cold air when the AC is on which is getting irritating now.

Cabin filter is clean. Gas is completely filled up to the brink (Was shown by the mechanic when he pushed a pen against the refill pipe and it just blew out white gas).

Is this definitely the compressor? Or could it be some sort of thing stuck in the fan or something alike? The car is really fresh and powerful otherwise but this seems like a costly problem so would really appreciate any help or advice.

Ofcourse some of you may point me to the mechanic but they want 1000 Swedish kroner just to do diagnostics (£90/$100) so just want to check if anyone here knows anything about this first.

Can post a video of it if requested?

Many thanks in advance.

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
My 2010 is exactly the same as yours sounds. But for the price to get to the bottom of it, i am not prepared to go down that road. Not just for aircon. Bit of a pain i know. Sorry i couldnt be more help. Let me know if you decide to try and fix it, and get to the bottom of it;)

surgiosphynx

Aug 24, 2017
Hmm. I've searched on all over on the VW forums and there are so many different issues people are having which show the same symptoms you & me have with our cars.

Some say a paper ticket went into the fan. Some say AC refill. Lots are saying it's something related to the compressor which I really hope it isn't because this is the most expensive fix.

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
Hmm. I've searched on all over on the VW forums and there are so many different issues people are having which show the same symptoms you & me have with our cars.

Some say a paper ticket went into the fan. Some say AC refill. Lots are saying it's something related to the compressor which I really hope it isn't because this is the most expensive fix.

From what iv'e read its more than likely the compressor, hence why i haven't tried to fix it. very expensive to fix, and there's know way im forking that much out for air con

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Could be the condenser which is a radiator at the front of the car. If it's been damaged by a stone or something could be leaking causing the sound. I had a hissing sound behind the dash and this was the problem.

OldManPooley

Jul 9, 2015
Could be the condenser which is a radiator at the front of the car. If it's been damaged by a stone or something could be leaking causing the sound. I had a hissing sound behind the dash and this was the problem.

How much was that all in to put right?

surgiosphynx

Aug 24, 2017

Seems like an expensive fix all in all. Would expect the build quality time be slightly stronger than to be damaged on by stones or corrosion.

The hissing sound is exactly what it is. Couldn't think of a word besides whistling for it.

Thanks for your reply. I too think I'll wait it out for the AC reparations since autumn has already begun. Won't be needing the AC until May next year.

I'll write again if I end up dealing with it earlier.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
I also thought I'll wait until next year but as my car has climate AC is in constant use. Also if you leave the AC system off for a year are other things like pipes and seals going to start drying up and corroding leaving an even bigger issue.

Plus a long journey on a motorway with the windows fully down wasn't much fun!

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
The compressor clutch went on mine. I was told it was a known issue with the model of compressor on my 2010 FR

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise