RNS510? Which Model

joephillipsuk

Aug 26, 2017
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone is able to help me out. I have an '09 plate Leon 2.0 TDI DSG. It has (what I think is the) RNS510 head unit. It is branded as Seat Media System when the car starts and the booklet is in the car manual holder so all factory fitted. I also have the iPod dock connector under the drivers seat along with the bluetooth module mounted underneath there. It is the model without the SD card reader and the inbuilt HDD to save media to.

I wondered if anyone is able to tell me what version of Seat Media System I have, if there are any updates I can do to it safely?

Any help would be appreciated - Really annoying that I can't post a URL to link you to a photo. If anybody is happy to help perhaps you would dm me.

Thanks

Joe

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
If you hold down the setup button a little while do you get a 'secret' menu that shows you version numbers. Looking for firmware number.

Last edited:

joephillipsuk

Aug 26, 2017
That's what I find really odd! I have been in to this menu and the only options there are AM/FM/DAB which shows a signal bar if you go in to them. There is no option for firmware :(

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
If you've held it in for awhile then it must be an older unit that needs the service menu activating with VCDS/Diagnostics before it'll show.

If everything works as it is OK now, then probably not worth the hassle and might even completely break the unit to update it :(

Bare in mind the unit would be setup for the spec of your car, bluetooth module, ipod connector etc.

There is a guide here I've found https://paulroberts69.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/upgrading-firmware-and-maps-on-vw-rns-510-satnav/

Last edited:

joephillipsuk

Aug 26, 2017
That would make sense. Yeah have had it a couple of years, it's sometimes inconvenient that the maps are dated as there are a lot of new roads around my area that are not present on the system.

Never mind, guess I will leave it as it is! It's still pretty handy.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Updating the firmware doesn't mean updating the maps.

You can still update the maps if that is the issue. Just search RNS 510 maps on ebay etc there are DVDs.

joephillipsuk

Aug 26, 2017
Ah good to know! Are the map packs for all models & firmware versions of the RNS510?

I wouldn't have thought a later firmware would offer more features anyway to be fair.

I'll have a look on eBay.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
That I don't know. Sometimes you haven't got a choice but have to update the firmware to be compatible with the new maps. Just read descriptions on ebay first.

I haven't actually got one of these units but have read up on them. I have the smaller RNS 315 which works differently in updating things.

joephillipsuk

Aug 26, 2017
Yeah reading between the lines that does seem to be the case. I did have the iPod dock disconnected and replaced with a 3.5mm jack for aux but would like to be able to stream my iPhone via bluetooth.

BT module + newer RNS + CANBUS upgrade was ridiculous money so I decided not to bother.

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Yeah bluetooth streaming is a newer thing. I can do it on RNS 315 which has bluetooth built into the unit, no BT module. But does have a smaller screen and obviously you'd need to buy a new unit.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members