FR 170 Ticking noise from engine

Beardedgremlin

Jul 3, 2017
Evening all,

I bought my Leon FR around two months ago. On the test drive I had the window open and there was a fast ticking sound coming from the drivers side window. I queried the salesman and he said it was due to the wipes vibrating (yeah I didn't believe him either). I decided to buy the car and monitor the situation. After 2 months the sound is still there it isn't any worse or any better. Part of the noise is coming from the engine cover vibrating but the rest is further into the engine itself. I haven't really noticed any performance issues until now. I left the car for a weekend and when I came to start it, it struggled a bit but then idled exactly as it should and acted normal. It felt a little under powered but I thought it was in my head. I've started it again tonight and it took a good few cranks before it started (always started on the first turn before). It felt really low on power until it warmed up and then drove great.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems in the past? It's a 2011 CR170 and since I bought it I have only ran the premium diesel through it. Any help is appreciated.

Jim

Beardedgremlin

Jul 3, 2017
Hi Tom,

Cheers for your reply that has certainly put my mind at ease. It is an extremely annoying noise which is a shame. Will just mean more aircon use and less using my Windows haha.

I'm assuming your car has done this since you bought it? You've had no issues with you car?

Thanks again for your reply.

Jim

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Mine has the same engine and has a slight ticking, even all the newer diesels I've heard have it to some degree but it's only really noticeable with the bonnet up, unless yours is louder?

They usually are a bit lack luster until they warm up but your never really booting it at that point anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.