ignition on power supply ?

Smeghead

Dec 29, 2017
www.cbafinancials.co.uk
Hi all
want to add a couple of bits to my leon (when i get it!) that need power, but want to have them only powered when ignition is on.
on my mk4 golf, there was a connection terminal under the dash (x75 i think) that you could connect to for just that purpose.
is there something similar on the mk3 leon ?
many thanks for your help.
all the best
chris

marinipersonal

Jan 1, 2017
My dashcam is powered from a 12v/USB convertor connected to the back of the 12V socket. Easy and clean install, the 12V as standard just works with the ignition on.
The convertor was from eBay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-to-5...3&hash=item25b691b7b0:g:ANAAAOSwUuFWvsWZUsing it in my cars for the past 4 years, no problems.
Just a tip to install, you can squeeze the cable to the back of the connector, without need to cut, and secure it safely with PVC tape.
Will uninstall mine tomorrow as will change car next week, will take pictures, if you need let me know.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi all
want to add a couple of bits to my leon (when i get it!) that need power, but want to have them only powered when ignition is on.
on my mk4 golf, there was a connection terminal under the dash (x75 i think) that you could connect to for just that purpose.
all the best
chris

Hi Chris
the way I have done mine is used a piggy back fuse connector (there is a technical name) and you remove fuse 40 (I think but check) plug this device in and it gives you a power take off I have connected it to a inline cig socket behind the glove box and run the cable up the front nearside pillar so you cannot see any cables and when you switch the ign on it powers the Cam
Steve

AlexOS

One of the fuses for the 12v can be moved.. I had a 2016 FR 5 door and I found that all you had to do was move one of the fuses in its slot. There were 2 positions and one gave full time power, but if you moved it over, it only provided power to the socket when the power was on.

The car went back a couple of weeks ago so I can’t check it, but if I remember right, in the fuses section of the manual there was only one for the 12v socket, and when you look in the fuse box, it was immediately obvious what you needed to do with that fuse. Only too a few seconds and worked perfectly for running my dash cam for 3 years..

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
Hi all
all the best
chris

See attached pic of fuses behind the glovebox. The yellow fuse with the red wire tap is for piggy lighter etc. I have my satnav and dash cam wired to this. On only when ignition is on. If you move that fuse up half a position I think it is so level with the green one to the left it is permanent on.
The yellow wire you see also goes to a permanent on contact.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• fusebox.jpg
    fusebox.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

AlexOS

See attached pic of fuses behind the glovebox. The yellow fuse with the red wire tap is for piggy lighter etc. I have my satnav and dash cam wired to this. On only when ignition is on. If you move that fuse up half a position I think it is so level with the green one to the left it is permanent on.
The yellow wire you see also goes to a permanent on contact.

Hope this helps.
That’s what I was trying to get at.. although I didn’t have the wires in there..lol

When mine was delivered the yellow fuse was up half a position and the 12v was on full time.. move it down to that position and it only works with the ignition on..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.