Amazon Alexa

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
I have noticed there are a number of threads running, in a number of sections, about the availability of Amazon Alexa in new SEAT models. Below is the only information, produced verbatim, that has been released to the UK dealer network so far:

SEAT will be the first automotive brand in Europe to integrate Amazon Alexa in its vehicles. The technology will be available on Leon and Ateca before the end of 2017.

Customers can use Alexa services on any Leon or Ateca fitted with Navigation System High built from week 22 2017.

How and when will it work?
Alexa will be integrated into the SEAT Media Control app that works with Navigation System High over WLAN connection. The app will be updated to enable Alexa for Android in week 50 2017 (starting 11 December 2017).

The technology will let the driver use current Alexa functions - or ‘skills’ - in the car. You simply ask questions such as: ‘Alexa, will I need an umbrella today?’. Alexa is activated by double-pressing the mute button on the steering wheel or pressing the Alexa logo on the SEAT Media Control app.

What about other models and iOS?
Alexa requires a WLAN connection, which is currently only available on Navigation System High for Leon and Ateca. Other navigation systems will be updated to include WLAN connectivity with the switch to model year 2019 in week 27 2018 (July), so customers will be able to use Alexa services on any Ibiza, Arona, Leon and Ateca with any navigation system built from this date.

The iOS version of the SEAT Media Control app will be updated to include Alexa services from July 2018. This version of the app will be compatible with navigation system high with WLAN connectivity built between week 22 2017 and week 26 2018, or any navigation system built from week 27 2018.

Important dates
Week 50 2017 (starting 11 December) – Media Control app to be updated on Android to enable Alexa capability. Compatible with all Leon and Ateca models with Navigation System High built from week 22 2017

MY19 – Media Control app to be updated on iOS (ie Apple devices), which will enable Alexa compatibility with all Leon and Ateca built with Navigation System High from week 22 2017. Standard Nav (in Ibiza, Arona, Leon and Ateca) will also be updated to include WLAN connection, so all navigation systems from these vehicles will be compatible with the Media Control app and Alexa services from this date.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Nothing specifically referred to as MY19. There were a few minor rolling changes to most models announced in December, but new MY cars tend to be announced in Q2 in advance of the August factory shutdowns as it's usually after then that production starts on new/updated models.

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Nothing specifically referred to as MY19. There were a few minor rolling changes to most models announced in December, but new MY cars tend to be announced in Q2 in advance of the August factory shutdowns as it's usually after then that production starts on new/updated models.

Yes, thought it was a bit early but the important dates section in the quote above referred to MY19 specifically....

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
In the 'What about other models and iOS?' section it says the switch to MY19 is in week 27. That last paragraph is a little confusing!

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
In the 'What about other models and iOS?' section it says the switch to MY19 is in week 27. That last paragraph is a little confusing!

Yeah. MY19 changes bringing retrospective compatibility for iOS for nav high units built from week 22 2017. Might have been better if the important dates section did what it says on the tin!

karrenstanly

Jan 15, 2018
It's a nice touch with SEAT Models. It will really allow to make you some nice things. Thanks for sharing this.

robot1000

Oct 2, 2017
Has anything further been announced on this?

I'm wondering whether there's any chance of me getting an update on my SEAT LEON FR which was delivered at the end of last month.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
Update announced by SEAT UK this afternoon:

Update: This new function has been delayed...

More when we get it!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.