Tyres on a 290 Cupra

beano_cupra

Dec 27, 2013
Ripley, Derbyshire
Hi all,

I’ve had my 290 Cupra about 18 months now and absolutely love it. One little problem is it seems to be eating tyres! I changed them last March and have since done around 6-7k on them and they are ready for changing again. I put the Conti sp5’s on but I get wheel hop when I want some ‘fun’ in the dry and in the wet I may as well have a Mii when it comes to accelerating away from junctions. With that said I don’t thrash the car about and never wheel spin on purpose so wondering what my best option is tyre wise. I was looking at Michelin PS4 but didn’t want to splash the extra cash for them and still be in the same position.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Go for PS4 S mate - got them on my Golf R. Brilliant tyre. If you’re only getting 6/7k then there’s something wrong with your geometry or the tyres although the 5P aren’t massively better than the original Bridgestones on my previous Cupra 280 - that suffered from axle tramp too. The 6Ps I used to have on my R went for about 18,000 miles so they lasted well but the PS4S, grip wise, is on another level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beano_cupra

Dec 27, 2013
Ripley, Derbyshire
Thanks mate. There on the limit yet but they are getting there. I’m disappointed in the Conti’s performance and heard big things about the Michelin’s. I’ll give them a go!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
As a side point, the PS4S won the Evo tyre test last year on a front wheel drive car on 18" wheels so you should feel the same benefits as that car if not more with the slightly wider 19" wheels.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Joe85

Mar 30, 2016
I have Avon ZZ5 on my 280. The front set did 17,000 before being changed, with still about 2.0-2.5 tread left but a bubble developed on the side wall, requiring me to change them early. Otherwise they would have done close to 20,000.
I don't believe they're the best for grip but for day to day driving, I have zero complaints.
They also only cost £100 each, all in cost, at National Tyres.

mcmillanja280

Sep 2, 2017
Going for 4 Michelin 4PS on Seat Leon 280. The Cup2’s after 22000miles are now on the limiter for rears. The fronts we’re changed at 10000 miles from cup2 to Michelin Sport 2 N2’s that also did 10000miles. Hopping to get good performance from doing a complete change. Booked in through black circle tyres have a promotion on four Michelin with £40 off so £691 for a set or £182 each before discount! Can’t wait.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
If you’re only getting 6/7k then there’s something wrong with your geometry or the tyres

Presuming the tyres are worn evenly its down to ones right foot and driving style..

6/7k sounds like you've been enjoying yourself to me..;)

Last edited:

beano_cupra

Dec 27, 2013
Ripley, Derbyshire
Presuming the tyres are worn evenly its down to ones right foot and driving style..

Haha I have and I haven’t. I don’t thrash it around daily, just at weekends sometimes and I do still have tread left. My main issue is the wheel hop in the dry and wet. Hopefully the PS4S will do the job!

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site

Defo something wrong - my Golf R went over 20,000 miles on its Continentals and I use the power plus it has 4wd.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Defo something wrong - my Golf R went over 20,000 miles on its Continentals and I use the power plus it has 4wd.

We will have to agree to disagree as without sitting next to the OP and viewing the wear its impossible to say but, presuming the tyres are evenly worn then to me nothing is wrong. The only difference 4WD makes is it wears the tires more evenly front to back when compared to a front driven car.

I know of an RS3 that went through some Priellis (fronts) in 5k that's not driven that hard, the geometry wasn't out and its now on some Conti's. I think the only thing the OP can do is to try the Mich. and monitor wear..

beano_cupra

Dec 27, 2013
Ripley, Derbyshire
Well I’ve had the PS4s on for around a month now and I can’t believe the difference! They’ve changed my whole experience with the car, the grip level in the wet and dry is outstanding! No more wheel hop if you give it the beans from a standing start, it’s given me a renewed confidence in the car. I would highly recommend anyone to upgrade to them, yes they are pricey but well worth it! I was a bit sceptical at first as I thought they are just tyres, Conti’s are a renowned brand so can’t be that much different, but the PS4s are superb!

Reactions: bandit77

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for leaving the feedback im going to purchase a cupra this weekend. I test drove two different cars and one was unbelievably planted and the other was a hooligan with horrible axle tramp. I never checked the tyres brands on either unfortunately. But the first one i drove that handled well had an induction kit so i assumed the previous owner may have done other mods to get rid of the axle tramp but maybe its as simple as good tyres.

I wonder would a garage do a deal on the michelins if i got the tyres changed in the first week:think:

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
I had avon zz5's on the cupra once. Never again. They had started to disintegrate towwards the end of their life, shedding their tread. Hugely dangerous & unacceptable on a performance car.

I have Avon ZZ5 on my 280. The front set did 17,000 before being changed, with still about 2.0-2.5 tread left but a bubble developed on the side wall, requiring me to change them early. Otherwise they would have done close to 20,000.
I don't believe they're the best for grip but for day to day driving, I have zero complaints.
They also only cost £100 each, all in cost, at National Tyres.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.