Looking for help with a turbo issue.

Venom79

Jan 28, 2018
Hi. 18 months ago my turbo blew on my fr tdi 170, I bought and had put on a reconditioned turbo but have been having issues with the turbo blowing ever since, I have had it at 3 different garages to have it looked at, at the last garage the mechanic that dealt with my car said after ringing Garrett turbos up that my car has the wrong turbo on. He said apparently there are 2 different turbos for my car, 1 that has a small hole in the side(which I have) and one without the hole which I need.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue, I am not mechanically minded so only going off what I have been told.
Any help with this would be appreciated as the fumes come through into the car.
Thanks

Last edited:

Fishy

May 16, 2005
See if you can get the model number off the turbo and google it, if that fails get a dealer to confirm what's going on.

Fish

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The OEM turbo is a Garrett GT1749VC, which is a VNT turbo, one with vanes in the inlet side that control the boost pressure.
A hole in the side? I've never seen a turbo with a deliberate hole in the side. Did he mean a wastegate? I don't know of a wastegate turbo that is OEM fit for any of the PD diesels.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise