Leon ST Which wheel Size and Engine

offshore

Jan 31, 2018
I have never owned a SEAT before, and I am not a great mechanic - apologies for my very basic question.

I have been looking at the wheel configuration on the Leon ST (estate)

The SE Dynamic Technology is fitter with 17 " alloy wheels; the more expensive Technology is fitted with 16" wheels.

Will the larger 17 " wheels on this cheaper model make it more uncomfortable I wonder?

Also the latest 1.0 TSI Ecomotive engine is another £2000 more than the older 1.2 TSI. I sense the larger engine could be more reliable, but that is not based on any particular experience or knowledge of my own.

I would be interested in other peoples opinions on this?

Thanks

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Well the 17inch wheels are nicer to look at, I suspect they are a larger tyre, 225/45 R17, and 16inch tyres are 205/55 R16. 17 inch tyres are wider...so more rubber on the road.

I would say the 17inch ones will be marginally less comfortable and less economical, but may give better road feedback and handling.

The new 1.0 TSI engine (I have this in my Ibiza) is more powerful and more economical than the outgoing 1.2 TSI.

The 1.0 is 3 cylinders, and you may find it more vibrating at the pedals on idle, but when it's up and going its very quiet and refined.

If you are more frequently than not going to fill your ST with heavy stuff and people, not sure either of these engines would be the right engine for the job.

If it's just yourself and another person and sometimes have some big stuff to haul around, you should be fine.

What would your car use be predominatly? If it's city driving, 1.0 is fine...if slow highways (usually 40-50mph roads) 1.0 TSI is fine too. However if you are going long distances (200+ miles a week) at 70mph. 1.6TDI would be better.

On 40-60mph roads, my 1.0TSI in IBiza can easilly get me 55-60mpg. On 70mph, it drops to about 48-50mpg. Oh your larger Leon ST, i suspect you can take off 2-3mpg all things equal for real world mpg.

Last edited:

offshore

Jan 31, 2018
Great Reply KXL - much appreciated. I am really out of my comfort zone with this.

My concern with the newer engine is that its not tried and tested over the long term; from my age group that is the size of engine you put in a motorbike. I just wonder if it will last the distance so to speak - I would not be looking to exchange the car after 3 years, but keep it longer.

For the same reason I put off diesel due to uncertainties - in 4 years time or more how will they be viewed and what will they be worth ? I dont know.

It would be for mainly local use, with some motorway and very occasional heavy loads. The fuel figures sound impressive to me.

When I was looking last night I saw a demonstrator 1.4 TSI FR with 18 " alloy wheels - price didnt seem too unreasonable, but that seems even more exotic still. 18" alloys I suppose thats firmer again?

As you can tell I am a very steady Eddie - some might say boring! In reality I am trying not to blow my hard earned wonga on the wrong thing.

Thanks for your help.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Yes tell me about it....I was born in the 80s, anything with less than 1000 cc are for Nissan Micras, the like...but to be frank, few people who sat in my car, thought it was a 1.6 or 1.8 just from the pick up. I have an Ibiza though, so it's lighter by 50-60 kg.

Just a heads up that the 1.0 engine in the Leon is only avaliable in lower than FR trim, means, you won't get goodies such as LED headlights and the lot.

Nobody has ever guesed my Ibiza had this tiny 999 cc 3 pot engine, all were thinking much larger. And my foot wasn't even fully planted, just 2/3rd acceleration!

I would suggest you test drive the 1.0TSI , and any 1.4 EcoTSi FRs as well.

If you are a steady Eddie as you put it, the 1.4 EcoTSI can have the ability to be more economical than even the 1.0 on light throttle, as it puts to sleep half the engine, eg...at a steady cruise 50-70mph or whenever there is light throttle.

Not many people would be able to say on the longevity of this 1.0, as it's only been around perhaps tops 2 years. I got mine Dec 2016, and no problems at all...

With 1.0 TSI Leon ST, you could possibly get very close to these figures with a steady consistent foot:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=438541

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I wouldn't worry about the physical strength or potential longevity of the 3 cylinder engine. It's how well the motor is designed and built which counts, regardless of size or number of pots it has. Daihatsu were making potent, reliable 1 litre 3 cylinders for more than 20 years before the others caught up.
Remember back when a 2-litre 'had' to have 6 cylinders? Nobody would think that now.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I wouldn't worry about the physical strength or potential longevity of the 3 cylinder engine. It's how well the motor is designed and built which counts, regardless of size or number of pots it has. Daihatsu were making potent, reliable 1 litre 3 cylinders for more than 20 years before the others caught up.
Remember back when a 2-litre 'had' to have 6 cylinders? Nobody would think that now.

Ahh.. Lexus IS200 (6 cylinders) Nissan Cefiro/Maxima (2.0 V6) I think some old BMW 3 series had straight 6 too!

Clintd

Feb 14, 2018
Hi , I have the Leon fr150 act St , Mine has the 18 inch wheels and the ride is quite firm , but I like it.
I would deffintly have a look at the FR as it comes with quite a few extra gadgets .

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.