new TFSI

ratamahata

Sorry for my ignorance folks, i have a question. Is it possible to turn the traction control off manually in the new leon tfsi 185hp? I am intending to
buy one soon and i just cant stand to live with traction control all the time. i have little experience about Seat and its tc, i will be glad if someone informs me.
thanx

Trident

Yes, there is a button on the centre console - it will reactivate every restart but just press once to de-activate the TC.

ratamahata

Thanx Trident, i knew that there was a button for esp but had no idea about the tc. And as a TFSI owner, are you satisfied with the overall performance and fuel economy of your car? I am in between golf 5 gti and tfsi, i dont see any sence of paying much more for the same car and i will probably go for the leon tfsi

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Rata

I've had mine for 3 weeks and am currently getting 31.7mpg according to the computer - mix of motorway, A road and town driving driving 'normally'. Have been using 98 octane when i can get it, if not normal or Tesco 99 octane, havent noticed any difference in performance.

I considered the Golf but its a hell of a lot of money for a badge, more expensive garage bills and higher insurance. Having said that it is IMO nicer to look at inside.

Rob

Trident

I think the ESP and TC are the same button - but I might be wrong - personally I don't know the car well enought to turn it off yet. It has only come on once when in the wet - it is a good system which lets you get on with driving without interrupting you too much - but it saves tyres on take-off.
Performance is great - NOW ! when running-in the power seemed to come in a bit of a lump - now though its great - not very much keeps up as far as acceleration is concerned.
Fuel - averaging just under 30 mpg - but most of my driving is short runs in urban areas. Longer runs see over 30 mpg. Runs on 98 RON all the time.

Hope this helps - great car can't fault it and nothing else looks like it on the road. How often do you see a Leon compared to a Golf ? I can't justify the extra money and my mate who owns a Golf says the build quality is just as good.

darrellr

Apr 2, 2006
monmouth
Rob66 said:
Rata

I've had mine for 3 weeks and am currently getting 31.7mpg according to the computer - mix of motorway, A road and town driving driving 'normally'. Have been using 98 octane when i can get it, if not normal or Tesco 99 octane, havent noticed any difference in performance.

I considered the Golf but its a hell of a lot of money for a badge, more expensive garage bills and higher insurance. Having said that it is IMO nicer to look at inside.

Rob

average 18 mpg @ 120 ... so I'm told :whistle:
average 30 mpg @ 70

Both with BP Ultimate (97 RON)

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004

Rob

Funny, I thought the same, but when I actually sat in the Golf, I found the dash quite dull compared to the Leon, a sea of light grey plastic, whereas it looked nicer in the brochure. As for the GTI seats, that chequered tartan is hideous, so the expensive option of leather would have been a must for me, which also comes in a conservative grey, not like the nice old Mk4 golf's black recaros.

The Leon interior on the other hand looks a bit cheap in the brochure but in the flesh it's actually completely different, must be the difference between artificial and natural light.

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, on the new models you can only dumb down the ESP by switching it off. It is still there in the background waiting for you to make a balls up, where it will then lend a helping hand. This applies to both Leon and Golf BTW.

oi_nutter2000

New interior's in woohoo!
Feb 20, 2005
Ipswich
Ric 2001 said:
On the Mk4 Cupra, the ESP button turns off, ESP, TC and it also turns of the ABS!!!

Really? I had no idea it turned off the ABS and i drive with the traction control off quite often. Might have to rethink that then...

ratamahata

Thanks for all the info.
I had a test drive with the 1.6 102bhp leon today. I turned the esp off and never turned it on. The car had no oversteer although i provoked it with harsh lift offs. It understeers like most front wheel drive cars but not disturbing. It has great handling for its height. I think leon owners can drive their cars with esp off on dry surfaces and only use it for heavy rain and snow. Turning electronic aids off can help to improve mpg you make. Also steering was quite impressive, i hated it at first because it was so light and numb but as the speed increased it toughened and became sharp and accurate. Overall i liked the car.
But they dont have a tfsi here to test so tfsi and its TC are still mystery for me :)

hibitdat

Leon FR TDI 150 Plat Grey
Sep 30, 2004
Dorset
A bit OT but how does TFSI run on standard Unleaded?

Slightly off topic but do any of you lucky TFSI owners know how they run on standard Unleaded, or is that a big no-no with the direct injection technology?

Thanks!

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I orginally ran Unleaded for the first 900ish miles but now on super for the last 500 miles as everyone keeps singing its praises. I dunno if I can tell a difference, but no doubt someone will come along disproving me.

TFSI 2006

hibitdat said:
Slightly off topic but do any of you lucky TFSI owners know how they run on standard Unleaded, or is that a big no-no with the direct injection technology?

Thanks!

I'm sticking to the manual, who prescribes 98 octane fuel.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.