New steering rack

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
Had my steering rack replaced yesterday:) But what a difference in how heavy it is now. Thought they had forgot to top up the reservior.

The plus side is that the creaking noise has gone. Hopefully it will slacken off a wee bit. Suspect it will make country roads a bit more tiring due to having to work harder:(

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yer the idea is, its supposed to lighten up when its going slow, ie parking manuevers etc, and stiffen up when its being driven on the twisties.

If its tough to steer all the time, then surely they haven't adjusted it correctly.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
THE BIG GAS MAN said:
Had my steering rack replaced yesterday:) But what a difference in how heavy it is now. Thought they had forgot to top up the reservior.

The plus side is that the creaking noise has gone. Hopefully it will slacken off a wee bit. Suspect it will make country roads a bit more tiring due to having to work harder:(

Hi gas man,

What dealer are you using? I bought a nearly new tdi and i got bickets to have look into the creaking noise. the guy said there isnt a fix for it at the moment as when the rack is changed the noise just comes back

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
P0LKR said:
Hi gas man,

What dealer are you using? I bought a nearly new tdi and i got bickets to have look into the creaking noise. the guy said there isnt a fix for it at the moment as when the rack is changed the noise just comes back

Hi polkr,

Been using Bickets. Not had any problems with them (apart from trying to charge me 10.50 for about 4l of petrol for the courtesy car). Told by the service dept that there is a fault but not a safety one with the rack, Head office know about this and have a back order for the racks and that will fix the problem. Got the tailgate hinges changed at the same time as the rack as they were rusting.

You enjoying the new car or missing the old one?

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
THE BIG GAS MAN said:
Hi polkr,

Been using Bickets. Not had any problems with them (apart from trying to charge me 10.50 for about 4l of petrol for the courtesy car). Told by the service dept that there is a fault but not a safety one with the rack, Head office know about this and have a back order for the racks and that will fix the problem. Got the tailgate hinges changed at the same time as the rack as they were rusting.

You enjoying the new car or missing the old one?

because of the stupid guy in bickets (sat morning bloke) im getting the rack changed at livingstones where i bought my cupra.............am i missing it mmm...miss the extra power but not the fuel consumption lol and the new leon is soooooooooooooooo much better to drive ie handling and refinement...i got the new leon revod two days after i got it but got a refund on it cos the wife went ape! not nearly as smooth but felt faster than my previous chipped cupra...was totally awesome . still the car is quite rapid as standard and i lovvve 45mpg.

conclusion....no way wold i go back to a mk1 leon even a cupra or an R........might get a little jealous of the anybody with the new cupra next year though!!

Richard S

had my rack changed on my 06 TFSI at 1000 miles. The steering did seem much heavier than before but now I've done 3500 I do'nt notice it and the creaking has'nt returned so I'm happy (ish)

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
P0LKR said:
the new leon is soooooooooooooooo much better to drive ie handling and refinement..
conclusion....no way wold i go back to a mk1 leon even a cupra or an R........might get a little jealous of the anybody with the new cupra next year though!!

I must say swapping the GF's New Leon with my Cupra if other day or so when driving you do notice that the new Leon does handle a lot better. i think the ride is a bit harsh at times but that's the trade off for better handling :drive1:

:D

cmc

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I'm waiting eagerly for someone to fit these Koni FSD shocks to a new Leon as they are supposed to drastically improve the ride without altering the ride height & springs.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.