Exhaust Help Needed!

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
Whats going on guys, got a slight problem that need diagnosing..

Had a full decat system fitted and ive easily realised that when it is accelerating under load theres like a can rattle type of noise, literally a can rattling.. I took it back to the garage that fitted it and they had it on the ramp as i was there and showed me that everything is in place properly, even shook it to show me its stiffness.. They said that as i have a decat it could be that making the noise..

Could it be anything else? They mentioned it was the hardest exhaust system theyve ever had to fit and had to cut a pipe and weld it back again to fit it.. It is a really annoying noise to put up with especially when booting the car..

Could it maybe be its not tightened properly at the turbo - downpipe area?

If anyone has had a similiar experience please do give and opinion, shame to see a great exhaust noise to be sounded out by a rattle

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Is it a full larger replacement downpipe and decat ?? The type that retain the twin pipe design decals are notoriously 'tinny' especially when cold. Ive wrapped a few to quieten them down

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
I think its the 3" downpipe decat going into a 2.75" catback.. What did you wrap them in? heatwrap?

I'll try to get a video up if i can today.. Its doing my nut it

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
It doesn't constantly make that sound, only because the car was warming up.. but you get an idea of the tinny sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anni25pd

Jul 23, 2012
glasgow/ayrshire
Hard to tell from video fella but sounds like a blow- exhaust gases escaping where they shouldn't be! 3" downpipe not the easiest thing to get in. Ideally subframe dropped a little to get enough clearance to get pipe in without bending/damaging heatsheilds. If it was cut a welded how good is welding??
I'd recheck all connections are tight & sound. If it quietens when warm might sealing up due to expansion.
Was the 2nd lambda spaced ? All tight and secure

Priz91

Realist
Jun 24, 2013
Loughborough
The garage it was a really tight squeeze to get to the turbo, had to drop the driveshaft and control arm (which messed my alignment up -_-) .. i had a better listen today and it does seem to be coming from the area of the downpipe.. The welding was also fine when i checked it not a problem there...

New OE werent actually used at the turbo/downpipe, only the downpipe - decat.. So it could be possible that they didnt screw the downpipe onto the turbo properly therefore there is a tinny sound due to the loosened pipe connection?

Could it also be possible that its the cat on the downpipe ( as its a turbo back system) ? The lad i bought it off said the system was perfectly fine, but i just want to check if it could be this...

There is not possible way for me to tighten it up myself over the bonnet is there? Saves me taking it somewhere