How much fuel between tank and injectors?

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
Any idea how long it takes for new fuel to make it through to the engine on a Mk IV ibiza 130? Mine cutout this morning with what seems like no fuel - starter turns but no effort to fire, just wondering if fuel contamination is a possibility after filling up (defo with diesel!) last night (done about 15 miles since filling up before it cutout). Theres no engine warning light and no error codes so its sat in the dealers while they try and figure out whats wrong.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I think if it was contaminated fuel it would have coughed and spluttered to a halt, rather than just cutting out.

What mileage is it on ?

Did it cutout while running, or did it just fail to start ?

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
it had been running fine for about 40 mins, then I squeezed the accelerator as I came went up a slip road and it cut out (which I didnt realise at first until I carried on slowing down!). No splutter or anything. Just coming up to 90k miles I think - was serviced a couple of months back too. If the fuel pump had gone for example that would show up as an ECU code wouldnt it?

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Same sort of thing just happened to my car and ended up a relay that sends the electric to the fuel pump suddenly died for no reason. I am not saying it`s that but might be worth a try.

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
:censored:

seized turbo :( Seems it has already cost 400 quid in labour to find the problem, and total cost is gonna be either 1300 for a non-seat turbo or 1900 with a seat part :-o

all the big things seem to have gone on this car over the last couple of years - dash pod went due to immobiliser fault, a/c compressor knackered and now turbo gone awol

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
:censored:

seized turbo :( Seems it has already cost 400 quid in labour to find the problem, and total cost is gonna be either 1300 for a non-seat turbo or 1900 with a seat part :-o

all the big things seem to have gone on this car over the last couple of years - dash pod went due to immobiliser fault, a/c compressor knackered and now turbo gone awol

£1300 for a new turbo they having a laugh! I hope thats a price including labour. If it`s going to cost that much might as well get a hybrid TD2 fitted.

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
perhaps it depends what the turbo was doing when it seized? It took them ages to get the car started and then it wouldnt rev - according to the guy I spoke to. Now they have said whats wrong though, I do recall the turbo sounding a bit dodgy lately - a bit louder than normal and more of a whizzing sound than a whistling.

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
well its fixed now. Apparently the turbo had pretty much destroyed itself, hardly anything left of the impeller!? They said they had another one like that not long ago too. These things should last longer than 80k miles IMO...

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
well, that fix lasted all of about 50 miles! Driving home tonight and there was a bang and big cloud of smoke out the back. Now its very unstable and kangaroos along - no power. Is it feasible something they had off to replace the turbo hasnt been put back quite right and blown out? [:@]

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
If they didn`t check the oil feed line to see if they where blocked which would have killed your first turbo could be a starting point. They should have found out why your last turbo died before just fitting another one so was there a reason givern?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
The bang and cloud of smoke could just be something like a boost pipe popped off, that they hadn't clipped back on properly. This happens quite often, often after a cambelt change when some of the pipes have to be removed for access.

What I don't understand is why, if the original problem was a knackered turbo, why the car wouldn't actually make any attempt to start....

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
the diagnosis was "turbo seized and impeller broken up". So that involved removal of the exhaust and turbo pipes.

Dunno why it wouldnt start after the initial problem though. I guess it couldnt get enough airflow but not sure on the exact working of the turbo system

dave99

Jul 14, 2002
Manchester
Visit site
The bang and cloud of smoke could just be something like a boost pipe popped off, that they hadn't clipped back on properly. This happens quite often, often after a cambelt change when some of the pipes have to be removed for access.

well they fixed it - said a pipe seal had broken due to the increased pressure from the new turbo, but was nothing to do with the work they had done. Then, on my way home last night - bang! - and off it comes again!

It was at a metal elbow joint underneath the drivers side headlights (not sure just what pressure is in that pipe - I can only assume it is the output from the turbo?). RAC man came out and fixed it - the joint was quite oily and didnt look like it had been cleaned before the garage "fixed" it, and he spotted another joint that didnt look like it had been put on squarely so he remade that joint too.

I am a bit reluctant to take it back to the dealers to check over now, or just see if the roadside repair has done the job. Its annoying not knowing that if you try to accelerate hard the thing might blow up on you!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.