Mk2 Toledo ASV Juddering & drop in MPG

NeilMcK

Dec 31, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi all, looking for a bit of help to see if there's an obvious fault on my car before taking it to the garage.

I've got a 2002 Toledo 110 with the ASV engine. It's done 104k miles.

Recently I've noticed that at low speed and light load - in town, there's definitely a judder, and the car isn't pulling as smooth as it used to.

I've also noticed a fair drop in MPG of around 5-10 mpg on the display.

The car is totally untouched and has been serviced regularly.

When accelerating the turbo is audibly running.

There are also no check lights coming on either.

Another weird thing is that when coming up to junctions & changing down, the engine seems to "wobble".

I'm thinking maybe the MAF, but maybe EGR? I've never, ever cleaned as I've no idea how to do that.

Any advice or insights appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil.

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
Dont know about your mods (if any!) but i had my ibiza remaped ECT and after a week or so i had the same symptoms. The problem i found was a vacum pipe had popped off from the airbox! popped it back on, cleared the VAG COM fault code and all was rosey!!

Hope this helps!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
check all the vac pipes , if all is well, then remove the flex pipe to the egr valve(main air feed) and take a look with a torch, it's prob'ly full of crap, you could also remove the vac pipe from the TOP of the egr and plug it just to see if there is any improvement as the valve could well be sticking best of luck:)

malcpw

Does it still pull well through the rev range? Or is it just a low end issue?

If it pulls well up to red line then it's not likely to be the MAF.

Could be EGR sticking open. It will then be feeding in exhaust gas at low rpm causing uneven running. Take off rubber elbow to EGR apply vacuum to top of EGR, does the internal valve lift and then drop when vacuum released?

Malcolm

NeilMcK

Dec 31, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't tried the vacuum test on the EGR yet, but did take a look and it isn't clogged with crap. I've got a fancy vacuum pump thingy for bleeding brakes so will get that out and give it a try.

It does pull all the way through the revs so I agree, don't think it's the MAF.

I did realise whilst test driving it had a sticking brake caliper, so I've fixed that so will see what the MPG does.

It only became obvious when the brakes got really hot and made a grinding noise.

Cheers,

Neil.

malcpw

Yeh a dragging brake can make big difference to MPG and at low power input i.e. just light throttle openings(not right expression for a diesel but you know what I mean) can make it hesitant rather like you described.

Hope you get it sorted

Malcolm

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise