Coolant system flushing + dishwasher tablets!?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
People only use that technique for trying to remove oil contamination from the coolant.

As long as your car has had the right coolant in since new there should be no reason to flush it out, just refill.
Just make sure you use the right stuff - you'd need to confirm, but I think nearly all VAGs need G12 coolant. It probably says on the expansion tank or cap. If you mix other types of antifreeze/coolant with G12 I believe you will find yourself in all sorts of trouble....!

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
People only use that technique for trying to remove oil contamination from the coolant.

As long as your car has had the right coolant in since new there should be no reason to flush it out, just refill.
Just make sure you use the right stuff - you'd need to confirm, but I think nearly all VAGs need G12 coolant. It probably says on the expansion tank or cap. If you mix other types of antifreeze/coolant with G12 I believe you will find yourself in all sorts of trouble....!

yeah the reason I ask is that the car has had quite a dilute concentration/seems like if any at all and have been topping up with G12. thought would be good idea given mileage (110k)

thanks for replies

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Unless you have a problem with the cooling system, such as overheating, I wouldn't bother flushing it. No risk of detergents doing any unexpected damage then...
Just drain it and refill with right concentration of G12.

Many years ago I remember my dad flushing the coolant system on an (old) Passat, the result of which was a number of tiny leaks in a section of metal pipe that was corroded, but had previously been sealed up by gunk over time :)

Moral of the story...if it ain't broke....

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise