Redex.. For 1.9 TDI 130?? Good/ Bad/ Does nothing?

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
I have searched the net and these forums and have not come to a conclusion on this...

Redex Diesel Treatment

Dissolves harmful deposits and cleans injectors and fuel system. Reduces emissions and engine noise and increases fuel economy. Cetane improver enhances cold-start performance. Suitable for all diesel engines, including cars fitted with catalytic converters.

Is there any chance using this will be bad for the engine?

If not, does it actually have the desired effect? i.e. Cleans everything and makes the car that little bit smoother. I am not really interested in performance or MPG increases.

Those who think it does work, is it sufficient to use it every few months or every fill?

thanks in advance!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
no it won't do any harm, Millers seems favourite 'round here (flame) I'd just use it up then try Millers if you fancy it I found not too much difference with Millers untill I stopped using it (bit rougher) then went back to it, Just realised how many times I said MILLERS not on commission honest!!

Deleted member 28319

I used Redex when i 1st got my 130 and did'nt notice the difference, but mine had done a lot of motorway mileage before i got it so my car may not have not needed it. I also started using millers Ds4 and that definetly seem to make a difference, however what really did smooth my car out was disconnecting and re-connecting the maf connector a few times, i later did the same with die-electric grease this is in my opinion had the biggest affect.

Deleted member 28319

Bought mine from Halfords, £12 for about 500ml which i'm sure treats 10 tank fulls. Seem to recall seeing threads on here where guys buy larger volumes at discount.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
used redex for the last couple of days to try it. Perhaps *slightly* smoother. May use it every couple of months just to make sure everything is cleaned out.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Forte is popular, works well based on my customer feedback and seems to be a favourite the day before mot but is expensive

Millers fuel booster has been getting some positive feedback too off a few fleet van guys love it, but it's still new in so remains to be seen but heard all good in past elsewhere

Redex had shelved on/off for a few years and never heard good or bad and hardly sell any to be honest

i can tell customers all day long this n that and what it does and how it works but to be honest you can't beat it when a few make a trip back just to tell you how good something is

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
is it ok in a PD ??

I wondered that myself when I started this thread. Seems plenty of PD engine users seem to use it. All it states on the bottle is that is "suitable for all diesel engines, including turbos". I have also looked in the manual of my seat ibiza 1.9 TDI PD, all it says regarding fuel additives is to make sure you use high quality ones.

From what I gather the 'super diesels' available in garages contain additives similar to those in redex.

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Found this on a 'TDI' website - "PD TDI engines. Also called "Pumpe-Düse" (German) or "Pump-Nozzle" or "Unit Injection"

Redex states - "Suitable for all Diesel, Injector, Common Rail, Turbo Charged and Intercooled Engines"

So from what I can see a PD TDI is an 'Injector' engine, so is suitable.. (someone correct me if I am wrong!)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.