Gt1749v

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
From a brief google I find the following from this thread on the TDI club forums

Bores and comparisons

Garrett designated turbos--------- intake Bore-------------- Exhaust Bore

GT 1749 V (GT15) ------------------1.326" -------------------1.441"

GT 1749 VA-------------------------1.390"--------------------1.467"

GT 1749 VB (THE"17) ---------------1.459" -------------------1.505"

GT 2052 V(The "20) -----------------1.550***---------------- 1.550***

GT 2252 V---------------------------1.550 ***----------------***

GT 2356 ----------------------------1. 587 --------------------1.605

GT 2552 V-------------------- to many sizes to list ------------1.550 to 1.700

*** These sizes vary in different series within that particular family group. Example, there are over 100 variations of the VNT 20 alone. The sizes shown here are of the most common sizes that are used in turbos manufactured for use in VW applications.

GT1749V is the "VNT15" turbo.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
The reason is because back in the day they used to be called GT15 and got the nickname "VNT15", then Garrett introduced their new range which was GT1749VA and GT1749VB (this one got the nickname "VNT17"), so they decided to rename the GT15 as GT1749V to fit in with the new range, thus the confusion ;)

Last edited:

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
I don't think it'd make much odds, I think that's just more of a style thing. Get some nozzles from the T4 van or the volvo with the 5cyl tdi engine and then get a map done.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320508&highlight=ryanp's+caddy

I'm confused Seatmann - you know about Bosio nozzles and use some yourself (PP764) - the spray pattern is wayyyy better in the Bosio nozzles, so why would you recommend inferior T4 nozzles to some proper calibrated Bosios?

-Would you swap your PP764s for some T4s and a load of black smoke?

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I'm confused Seatmann - you know about Bosio nozzles and use some yourself (PP764) - the spray pattern is wayyyy better in the Bosio nozzles, so why would you recommend inferior T4 nozzles to some proper calibrated Bosios?

-Would you swap your PP764s for some T4s and a load of black smoke?

Most people don't want to spend as much on nozzles so the T4 ones are cheap from a breakers but as long as they're tested and set up properly by someone who knows what they're doing then they're fine. Don't forget the proper T4 ones are bosch, not some cheapy rubbish.
I'd always avoid cheap ones from the internet as a lot of the time they are fake but as long as they're genuine bosch then they should be good.
To get the bosio ones like mine you're looking around the £300 mark and they were on sale at the time too but if people are willing to spend the money and want to go further with their tuning then yeh, get them.

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Hi Seatman,

Once you add in the cost of the T4s, the difference is only a few tanks of diesel. Even genuine Bosch T4s will smoke a lot more than well calibrated Bosios, so I say dig a little bit deeper and get the Bosios....and with less wasted fuel with respect to the higher atomisation of the Bosios you will eventually make your £200 back, lol, and without kicking out back smoke like with the unrefined T4s.

Last edited:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Yeh bora parts is sound, he's a big seller in the states, you'll see him on the tdiclub. I got mine from kermatdi and drivbiwire set them up, they both sell the same ones.

http://dbwllc.net/nozzleselect.aspx

Join the tdi club and look out for kermatdi doing a sale, he does them from time to time. You could also contact bora parts and see if any of them will do a discount, just go back and forth between them and see who offers the best deal.

Last edited:

Leon2012

Jan 24, 2012
Ate was having a read there and I think the gt1749v has a slightly bigger wheel? Am I right compared to the older model. I'm gonna get her mapped to 140. And had though about a fmic. Do u think it would be worth it? Had a read at this but it could be a 1 off. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=261657

An FMIC without other mods (i.e. more than a remapped 110) would actually slow the car down, so forget that

Last edited: