PD130 Vac Leak

Wolvo-Oleg

Mar 4, 2012
Wolves
Hello!

Long time, first post since owning my LCR a few years back.

Had a string of BMW's but I'm back in a Passat, sorry it's not a Seat, but this is the only VAG forum I'm on!

I've done loads of research the last few days, but I'm stuck so decided to post a thread. For the sake of this we'll use computer MPG's, I know it isn't accurate, but it still serves a purpose.

Basically, I picked up my Passat PD130 the other day, got an indicated 64mpg, very impressed!

Drove it to work, 55mpg, very impressed.

Drove home (no traffic as I work nights) 62mpg, very impressed.

Now, I've only owned the car a week, but almost over night I am now struggling to get 40mpg coming to work, and 50mpg coming home,

It seems the slightest touch of acceleration has my MPG dropping.

I did some reading and I found a good explanation of the vacuum system on these engines, I saw something that said pull the vac hose off the actuator, and if you can blow down it, you have a vac leak... I did this quick test and I can indeed blow down that vac pipe.

The car seems very sluggish off boost, and seems to spool much later than it did when I first got it, between 1500rpm and 2000rpm.. I suspect this is the cause of the MPG decrease.

I can hear a sort of vacuum leak noise coming from the airbox/turbo/EGR valve sort of area, but all the pipes I can find seem secure.

Anybody have any ideas?

How long does it take to replace the vacuum hoses?

The car has to do a long road trip with 5 friends tomorrow, so I'd preferably like my MPG back before I go haha!!

Sorry for the long post,

Cheers

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Correct method to find the vacuum leak use a smoke tester and where the smoke comes out is obviously where the leak is coming from.

Dangerous but workable solution use brake cleaner and spray the vacuum pipes and if the engine has a change in idle or engine note you have located where the leak is coming from. ( if you do employ this method please be extremely careful as spraying a flammable substance onto a hot engine is not the best of ideas.

Wolvo-Oleg

Mar 4, 2012
Wolves
Correct method to find the vacuum leak use a smoke tester and where the smoke comes out is obviously where the leak is coming from.

Dangerous but workable solution use brake cleaner and spray the vacuum pipes and if the engine has a change in idle or engine note you have located where the leak is coming from. ( if you do employ this method please be extremely careful as spraying a flammable substance onto a hot engine is not the best of ideas.

Cheers, I have heard about the method of spraying easystart etc around the engine.

This is my first diesel though, and I wasn't sure if this method still worked, but I'll give it a go! Cheers :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.