Dash cam footage

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Hi guys people round my way seem to have lost all driving ability and are constantly causing near misses and generally dangerous situations. This has prompted me to get a dash cam when I get paid this week. If I hand footage to the police can they use it as evidence?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Hi guys people round my way seem to have lost all driving ability and are constantly causing near misses and generally dangerous situations. This has prompted me to get a dash cam when I get paid this week. If I hand footage to the police can they use it as evidence?

Save you money, join you local constabulary and after a few years if your good enough apply to traffic division- clearly from your above post you must be the only driver in the UK who's never ever broken a traffic law, so they will welcome you with open arms- then Yourll have you own personal shinny dash cams and you can nick all these hardened criminals or maybe simply motorists who may have had a moment of madness or just simply made a mistake , yourself

Apologies in advance if that sounds a bit sarcastic, but it was ment too, I'm sure you mean well and had good intentions with your post, but unfortunately the road to he'll is paved with good intentions
Sure if you see a drunk staggering to his car, report him, but buying a dash cam to go out and hunt motorists YOU perceive to be driving dangerously, I'd skip that idea, this is the UK, not Starlin's Russia

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Not after a Stalin esque society incidentally you spelt his name wrong. But when some clown nearly ploughs me and my 3 year old out the fast lane purely because they didnt use indicators or mirrors before cutting across 4 lanes of traffic and not noticing the bright yellow Leon I think I am entitled to be angry. I know everyone makes mistakes but your answer doesn't help anyone does it?

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Ignore his ridiculous input, a dash cam is a fantastic piece of kit but dont just tell on every little incident you see. If it is dangerous to you, like really dangerous then yes seek justice with your evidence but people do make genuine mistakes on the road from time to time.

Insurance companies are known for purchasing evidence if they need to settle a dispute, i.e. you catch an accident that your not involved in.

Get the cam and have peace of mind. Just dont be that guy who tells on everyone..

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
And also bear in mind that your dash cam footage can be used against you too in the event of an accident if it proves you were driving in excess of the speed limit for instance ( which I'm sure you never do :D )

stevocupra

Jul 1, 2016
Yeah am aware of that. The stretches of motorway here are accident central. As I said it's for incidents as mentioned. Being a recovery truck driver I see the aftermath of wreckless driving all the time and sadly pick up the pieces. It's mostly for when someone does something like the incident mentioned above. Thanks for the info though was nice to get a sensible response.

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Ignore his ridiculous input, a dash cam is a fantastic piece of kit but dont just tell on every little incident you see. If it is dangerous to you, like really dangerous then yes seek justice with your evidence but people do make genuine mistakes on the road from time to time.

Insurance companies are known for purchasing evidence if they need to settle a dispute, i.e. you catch an accident that your not involved in.

Get the cam and have peace of mind. Just dont be that guy who tells on everyone..

Dash cams are great. I have never submitted any footage to the plod but would have no hesitation in doing so in the event of an accident.

Skip to 25 seconds.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I use dash cam on both car and motorbike, and have never handed to plod, but have stuck some idiots bad driving vids on to u-tube just to let others see what goes on with some bad drivers.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Not after a Stalin esque society incidentally you spelt his name wrong. But when some clown nearly ploughs me and my 3 year old out the fast lane purely because they didnt use indicators or mirrors before cutting across 4 lanes of traffic and not noticing the bright yellow Leon I think I am entitled to be angry. I know everyone makes mistakes but your answer doesn't help anyone does it?

I feel for you I know how frustrating it can be, by all means get a camera and if you get crashed into or are directly involved in a very near RTC then use the footage, I'd probably do the same.
But you seemed to want to go beyond that into the realms of Charles Bronson with a camera, that's what I objected too.

R spelling, yes you are correct I did spell it incorrectly, but then from your original post you are clearly looking to spy on and report your fellow citizens so you probably far better versed in the works of Stalin than I would be :D

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Ignore his ridiculous input, a dash cam is a fantastic piece of kit .

Wouldn't say my input was ridiculous. It got him several replies to his thread they had languished here with no replies.
Don't recall saying dash cams were bad, personally I think they are great.
I just don't agree with them being used by people who only seem to want them to play at being a traffic cop

Let me put it another way, around here a couple of years back two innocent people- a mother and child - were killed in a crash by the likes of someone who thought it was fun to play at being plod in his private motor vehicle

Leave it to the police, that's what they are there for

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Dashcams as defence in an accident I fully support.... Likewise if you witness something shockingly dangerous then yes handing it in to the police is the only way these people will learn......

It's those bellends that post every single piece of footage showing any less than perfect driving on Facebook, and the 'holier than thou' preaching of the highway code that goes with it.:censored:

Those people I actively troll...... :rofl:

Last edited:

Kibby

Jul 12, 2013
Belfast
Wouldn't say my input was ridiculous. It got him several replies to his thread they had languished here with no replies.
Don't recall saying dash cams were bad, personally I think they are great.
I just don't agree with them being used by people who only seem to want them to play at being a traffic cop

Let me put it another way, around here a couple of years back two innocent people- a mother and child - were killed in a crash by the likes of someone who thought it was fun to play at being plod in his private motor vehicle

Leave it to the police, that's what they are there for

Couldnt agree more with you. My comment regarding your ridiculous input was your assumption that his sole desire was to play part time road cop. There are people out there who want to waste their time trying to catch everyone and be d**ks and they are the worst but as you said used in the correct capacity dash cams are fantastic

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I've recently fitted dashcams to both my car and the other half after she had an accident where a dashcam would have saved a lot of hassle in proving she was in the right, as it turns out luckily we got it sorted in the end and they admitted liability but that's what made me stick them in... even the cheap ones are decent.

Also some insurance companies these days will offer a discount for people using a dashcam (some need particular models I think) so worth it in some cases and would pay for itself.

Coincidently did you have any dashcam footage was one of the first questions the insurer asked when they took accident details also.

Last edited:

dodders

Mar 24, 2015
My Blackvue saved me on more than one occasion, so has paid for its self just in the hassle factor.
When I sent mine to the other parties ins co within a hour was a phone call asking "where would you like it repaired, Mr dodders"

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.