Power Steering Failure

gerallt1

Hi,

First post so be gentle.

I have a 06 Ibiza Cupra TDI (unmodified), and have been experiencing intermittent power steering failure; i.e. power assistance would stop working during driving. Once this event occurs the car goes into a limp home mode with lumpy idling, and TC, ABS, Brake and Steering lights all illuminated. When you stop the car turn off the ignition and restart all the lights extinguish, and all systems are normal and the steering functions as normally.

The car was in Pentraeth Seat some two weeks ago trying to get the problem resolved, with their initial thought being to replace the steering rack under warranty. When I picked the car up they said that the issue was relating to a bad earth and low voltage, and they replaced an earthing module and cleared all the faults off the ECU, some 18 in total. I was advised that there was barely enough power to run the ECU, and that all systems are now fine.

Some two days later the problem has re appeared, with additional symptoms, these being alarm immobiliser, sounding for no reason, radio randomly requires security code re- entering, digital readouts odometer/trip fade when turning on the ignition.

The car is going back in tomorrow to be sorted hopefully, as at present it is undrivable.

Has anybody experience similar problems or have any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

Thanks.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I recall reading that if the battery voltage gets too low, then various systems start to shut down.
So perhaps the battery isn't charging properly (failed alternator?) or as others have said, perhaps there's an intermittent battery connection somewhere.

gerallt1

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I will metion the issues noted on the to dealership tonight when i drop off the car tonight. I will keep you posted.

gerallt1

Hi just a quick update regarding the power steering failure.

I have had a new alternator wiring harness, power regulator module, all wiring behind dash board checked (dash out job, and new power steering hydraulic pump.

The car has been in and out over the last month or so, and after all the above the problem still exists!!

The car is back in on Wednesday to have power steering sensors and alignment sensors changed.

Apparently according to the dealer (who is being helpful), seat technical division are flummoxed by the problem and are keen to have it resolved.

I am now contemplating were I stand as I am sceptical weather the new sensors to be fitted Wednesday will have any affect as they seem to be swapping parts with a hope that I cures the problem.

There is a year left on warranty but surely they can’t keep swapping things forever. The car is in the garage more that it is at home. When would they call it a day? And were do I stand form possibly rejecting the car with seat?

Now contemplating changing the car (which would be a dam shame) as I have lost confidence.

Skisbp

There is a year left on warranty but surely they can’t keep swapping things forever. The car is in the garage more that it is at home. When would they call it a day? And were do I stand form possibly rejecting the car with seat?

Not sure of your local Lemon Laws...:help: Yet typically 30days or roughly 1 month out of the 1st year in for repairs requires them to start arbitration!!!:wtf:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
If this continues you've got a couple of choices.
Extended warranty at the dealer an Additional 1 year after its been fixed. At the end of the day this is costing you hundreds of pounds as you've had to take time off work to have this sorted and if THEY don't know what the problem is how are you expected to fix it outside of the Warranty Period!

Or
Like above swapping your car for a fully loaded new model.
They know theirs a problem and if it can't be fixed by them under warranty your shafted.
I bet my mate could fix it though ;)