turbo boost pipe problem

chris6210

Jun 12, 2008
Leon Tdi 150 2005
Noticed small spot of oil on underside of engine. On further investigation it was coming from turbo boost pipe where it connects to intercooler and it was half dislodged. I removed the retaining clip to find one end was broken off. Since reffitting I have found on acceleration it pops off / bang loss of power/ white smoke out the back. New clip needed tomorrow.

My question is why is there some oil in these pipes? Also on closer inspection most of the lower boost pipe connections are weeping some oil, is this normal ? And lastly there is a small bit off plastic broken on the intercooler connection, if this is also contributing to the problem will I need to replace the intercooler or is the connecting piece a seperate part. How much ?
This is at pipe 17 on the diagram where it connect to intercooler

Thanks in anticipation.

FMICandpipework.jpg

sssstew

Editing your spelling
theres oil in those pipes due to the CCV system which vents crank case vapours back into the inlet.

Oil on the joints is normal, but not an excess, means the clip is faulty.

re the broken bit, do you mean the connector on the side tank on the IC is broken?

chris6210

Jun 12, 2008
A small piece of plastic is broken off the intercooler connection but don't think it will stop a new clip doing its job. Just wondered if the connecting part on the IC is an integral part or seperate, incase it needs replacing.

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Just picked mine up tonight FR+ and ive got a boost leak, think its the drivers side where it connects to the intercooler need to check tomorrow at work.

chris6210

Jun 12, 2008
Have fitted a new clip, and it has happened again but only half popped out. The new clip does not seem to seat properly to hold the lugs on the pipe in position. I think the Tw#t at Seat Parts counter has sold me the wrong size clip. They don't stock any more of these metal clips. [:@] 2 day wait to get one in and he's not sure this will be the right one either.
Gonna try Euro car parts !!

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Have fitted a new clip, and it has happened again but only half popped out. The new clip does not seem to seat properly to hold the lugs on the pipe in position. I think the Tw#t at Seat Parts counter has sold me the wrong size clip. They don't stock any more of these metal clips. [:@] 2 day wait to get one in and he's not sure this will be the right one either.
Gonna try Euro car parts !!

Are you sure its not the lugs itself that have worn down? So the clips cant grip onto anything.?

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
It does seem to be very common, check the end of the pipe and if it looks like this photo you need a new hose.

Thats the culprit! As andy43 says, you can't replace just the hose end, you have to replace the whole hose which is a bad design by VAG.

I have replaced all my hoses with SFS ones, which may be an option for you, if not I have the hose #17 sat at work I could sell you, not sure how much it would be from SEAT.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Be suprised if you can buy them from eurocarparts and if you do they will be pattern stuff which will be no good for your car! Just my opinion of course.
Glynn

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Gonna get hose and new clips today from Euro Car parts if they got them. Hope this sorts the problem.

I got a pack of clips from SEAT, they were about £1.40 for 5.

The hose is £30 as glynnd has already said, so just go direct to your local VAG/SEAT dealer.

Least you know when your parts turn up they will be right!! (famous last words)

chris6210

Jun 12, 2008
Yes you are right I can only get hose and some more clips from Stealers. 2 day wait for hose and clips. Begining to wonder if they stock anything. The worrying thing is the guy behind the counter has ROVER overalls on:-o.

The lugs on my hose are a little worn like the photo so hope this will be the end of it. Only going to 2000 revs before changing gear incase it blows is really doing my head in

chris6210

Jun 12, 2008
Thats the culprit! As andy43 says, you can't replace just the hose end, you have to replace the whole hose which is a bad design by VAG.

I have replaced all my hoses with SFS ones, which may be an option for you, if not I have the hose #17 sat at work I could sell you, not sure how much it would be from SEAT.

Sorry if this seems ignorant but what are SFS hoses ? Is there a performance increase ?

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
I checked mine today at work on the ramp, found that no4 pipe had popped off the intercooler but both the lugs on the pipe were fine so just refitted and put the clip back on, used 3 cable ties one on one pipe one on the other and the thrid to pull them tight together, worked fine and a little more power now as its not being wasted, :) still loving it tho.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Yeah crap design by VAG - 2 small soft ally lugs located and retained by much harder abrasive spring clip - doh! But they continue to use it. Whats wrong with jubilee clips or similar? Numpties

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.