PD150 Burning Oil ? Normal ? Quick question ...

Probs

Hi guys,

As I am aware most regular diesels burn oil but I was wondering whether the PD series engines were known for it as well ?

Reason I ask, I brought my PD150 Leon at 42k, it has now done 47k and the oil level (Tested from cold in the morning) has gone from being in the dotted area on the dip stick to very near the bottom of the dip stick in around 5k

First question, should I be worried about this ?

Second question, or should I just top it up ? If so, roughly much oil do you reckon will be needed to put it back between the lines ? I know thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but figured I'd ask anyway :)

Cheers guys,

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Hi guys,

As I am aware most regular diesels burn oil but I was wondering whether the PD series engines were known for it as well ?

Reason I ask, I brought my PD150 Leon at 42k, it has now done 47k and the oil level (Tested from cold in the morning) has gone from being in the dotted area on the dip stick to very near the bottom of the dip stick in around 5k

First question, should I be worried about this ?

Second question, or should I just top it up ? If so, roughly much oil do you reckon will be needed to put it back between the lines ? I know thats a bit like asking how long is a piece of string but figured I'd ask anyway :)
If you are correct with the levels then yes there could be a problem.
You should only check the oil level when warm. Seat specify the tolerance for oil consumption is 1 liter every 600 miles yet on my old service invoices it specifies 1 liter every 10000 miles!
My leon uses 250ml between 10k serices and has covered 143k
Glynn

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
There is 4.5 liters of oil in the sump and when warm expands quite a lot.
Thats why it should be checked warm.
When cold the level should be in the hatched area and when at this level no top up needed.
When warm the level should not be above the top bend in the dipstick as if it is its overfilled. Ok not much may happen and probably wont hurt the engine but if you are going to do things may as well do them right!
Glynn

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Mine used about that hatched area on the dipstick between services when I used to commute 160 miles a day. Now that its doing about 8 miles a day it uses that in about 5k miles. They do use a certain amount and the manual will give a rough guide based around average cars on average journeys where mine has gone from one extreme to the other!